Holborn CottageSleeps 5
Holborn Cottage is situated in the picturesque village of Litton. Individually styled this two King sized double bed-roomed luxury cottage is full of character and furnished to an immaculate finish. A great little boutique hideaway to enjoy a stay in The Peak District. Sleeps up to 5 people.
A warm and welcoming luxury boutique cottage, hidden away in the picturesque village of Litton. Furnished to an immaculate standard, offering original features and cosy cottage charm. Surrounded by beautiful countryside this is a great base to plan your stay, in The Peak District. Sleeps 5.
- 2 individually styled King Size Double bedrooms
- Sleeps 4/5 (with use of a loft bed - ideal for older children and adults only)
- Beautiful bathroom with walk in shower
- Situated in the heart of the village, Litton offers you a great village pub and local shop both within easy walking distance
- A short drive to the nearby towns of Bakewell and Buxton and also the stunning Chatsworth House and Haddon Hall are only 15 minute drive away.
- After your day out exploring the surrounding area, settle down in the luxurious lounge in front of the cosy log burner.
- Private South facing enclosed courtyard
- Sorry no dogs are allowed at this venue
Bedrooms & Bathrooms
Whilst retaining its original character, this 17th Century two double bedroomed cottage has been lovingly designed to provide modern Boutique Style creature comforts:
Bedroom 1 - Fixed King Sized Double - Feature Stone Wall and Wardrobe Space
Bedroom 2- Cosy & Compact Fixed King Sized Double - also features a Loft Bed with access via a steep ladder - ideal for older children and adults only! Small cupboard with hanging space. Room for a cot
Shared Shower Room - a stunning feature stone wall with a quirky built in space for storing towels, this bathroom is finished to a high standard with a luxury walk in shower and underfloor heating.
Please click here for the Floor Plans
Cooking & Dining
Fantastic open plan kitchen / dining area, this is a great space for all of you to get together to prepare your meals whilst still socialising. There is a fully equipped kitchen including a built in dishwasher/ washing machine and fridge. A handy drawer that holds all your recycling goods - clearly labelled for ease. The kitchen has all the items you would expect to find at home to make sure your stay is as comfortable as it can be.
A good sized dining table , that easily seats 5, consisting of a bench seat and a couple of additional chairs - there is ample space for all your meals. Near to the door that opens onto the courtyard you can enjoy the sun shining through whilst enjoying a lazy breakfast, lunch or dinner.
An inviting lounge welcomes you as soon as you walk into the cottage. With traditional beams and a stone fireplace it really does have that cosy cottage feeling.
There are 2 plush sofas to sink into and a cosy log burner to light in the cooler months. A quaint window seat is ideal to maybe sit and enjoy a book. There are plenty of homely touches with a well stocked games cupboard filled with reading books for adults and children, a selection of DVD's and plenty of board games to keep the children (or adults) happy!
A Panasonic Smart TV and DVD player with soundbar is also available.
Garden & Outdoor Space
Holborn cottage is tucked away down a quiet lane so the enclosed courtyard gives you a space that you can relax and enjoy the sun all day long. The courtyard has a wooden table and chairs to seat 4 and an additional bench.
A fabulous area to enjoy a BBQ, (available for use from 01st April through to 31st October) we do ask you to provide your own charcoal and lighting equipment.
Parking for one car opposite the property on a gravelled pull in but there is ample nearby village parking on the roadside. Don't forget your bikes - lockable cycle storage is available in the out house.
The Peak District & Surrounding Area
Situated across the road is an ideal children's play area.
Litton has a very popular village pub, which is great for food or just to go and enjoy a drink. There is a community run village store offering most of the essentials along with the basics of milk / bread cheese etc. The Post Office is situated in the building too.
The location of Holborn Cottage has an immense choice of walks or cycle routes from your doorstep. You can enjoy easy access to the picturesque dales of Litton, Millers, Cressbrook, Tideswell and Raven, walking through woodland and the dramatic open countryside of the Peak District.
A 15 minute walk across the narrow back road (which is suitable for cars too) is the village of Tideswell. Here there is a small supermarket,a great restaurant called the Merchant's Yard, very popular cafes and a couple of village pubs
How To Find Us
The address of Holborn Cottage is:
Litton, Nr Buxton, SK17 8QP
Approx GPS coordinates of the property are:53.2728404, -1.7533403
Directions to Holborn Cottage by car from Bakewell (approx. 15 minutes):
- From Bakewell follow signs for A6 to Buxton
- Once on A6 continue for approximately 1.3 miles
- You will come to a right turn signposted to A6020 for Ashford-in-the-Water (there is a separate middle lane for those turning right)- take the right turn
- After 0.1 miles turn left onto B6465 (Betty Lane) signposted to Monsal Head & Wardlow
- Follow the road past the Village Hall, you will see a small shop on the right in front of you (Robert’s) and The Ashford Arms will be on your left- there is a right turn just before the shop which continues onto B6465 (Greave’s Lane) signposted to Monsal Head& Wardlow
- Follow this road for approximately 4 miles through Monsal Head and Wardlow.
- You will come to a ‘T’ junction with 2 signs in front of you (right to Chesterfield & Sheffield), left to Manchester & Stockport).
- Turn left at the T-junction onto the A263 towards Manchester & Stockport (A623 & A6)
- Follow the road for 0.3 miles then take the left turn (Mires Lane) signposted to Litton & Cressbrook (there is a house on the corner just after the turn)
- Follow the road into Litton, you will pass a farm immediately on your left as you come over the hill - carry on for a couple of 100 yards and there is a small turning on the left opposite the playing field. Just before the Methodist Chapel.
- Turn left here and the cottage is the second on the left- the parking is opposite the cottage on a gravelled area next to a couple of stone buildings. There is additional parking in the village if needed.
- From Buxton signs to the A6 towards Bakewell
- Once on A6, continue on this road for approximately 5 miles
- There will be a left turn for the B6049 signposted to Tideswell, Miller’s Dale & Blackwell
- Take this left turn and continue through Miller’s Dale for approx. 3 miles
- After 3 miles there will be a right turning signposted to ‘Litton’.
- Take this right hand turn
- Once you have taken the right turn to Litton, follow the road and go straight through the village - after a turning signposted for Cressbrook you will see a Methodist Chapel on the right after this there is a small turning down a lane and the cottage is the second on the left - the parking is opposite the cottage on a gravelled area next to a couple of stone buildings.
- You have arrived at Holborn Cottage!
Directions to Holborn Cottage by car from Buxton (approx. 20 minutes):
The following comments are taken straight from the guestbook we keep for Holborn Cottage. Verbatim.
Hodgson stayed in September '19
Absolutely loved our stay in the cottage!
Sign the Guestbook
If you have comments you'd like to leave then please get in touch. We love to hear all feedback - good or bad.
Your Stay At Holborn Cottage
Our Favourite Places to Eat
- The Red Lion, Litton - Small traditional village pub serving great food. Please note that they do not allow children under the age of 6 in the pub.
- The Packhorse, Little Longstone - Lovely historic character features in this compact pub. It is worth booking a table for a group as it is popular with the locals.
- The Manners, Bakewell - Gastro pub with great food and a family friendly beer garden in the heart of Bakewell.
- The Bull, Ashford in the Water - Traditional Robinsons small character pub serving great food in a lovely Derbyshire village with the River Wye flowing through the heart of it.
- Royal Oak, Hurdlow – Our very own award winning pub offer open fires, hidden corners, local ales and of course ‘great homemade pub food’. Groups welcome - booking advised.
- The Bulls Head Inn, Foolow - Family run pub serving hearty traditional pub food.
- The Barrel Inn, Bretton- Quaint 16th century inn with the most amazing views - on a clear day it is possible to see five counties.
- The Moon Inn, Stoney Middleton - A lovely traditional pub with a great beer garden.
- The Bridge Inn, Calver - A pub which serves great Spanish tapas.
- The Merchant’s Yard, Tideswell - a stylish restaurant with a private dining area for large groups. Also a lovely setting for afternoon tea and the cocktails are a must!
- PieDaniels, Bakewell French restaurant and cafe bar in the heart of Bakewell.
- Simply Thai, Buxton, Derbyshire - Great Thai restaurant located in the centre of Buxton – booking is definitely recommended.
- Rowley’s, Baslow - A contemporary restaurant serving locally sourced modern European dishes.
- The Woodyard - Bakewell, family friendly restaurant - situated in an idyllic location by the river. Serves both lunch and dinner.
- The Yondermann Cafe - Wardlow Miers - Hearty Breakfasts available in small, big, bigger and biggest portions - a must to try! Sandwiches / jackets potatoes and main meals all served until 3.00pm.
- High Nelly’s Café, Tideswell - A great place for breakfast/brunch - the waffles are amazing ! - open until 4.00pm
- H & D’s Exotic Teas tearoom, Tideswell - A cafe, tea shop and restaurant all in one
- Vanilla Kitchen, Tideswell - Lovely café with nice homemade cakes, especially the scones!
- Peak District Parlour, Tideswell - Offers a variety of home cooked meals, teas and coffee
- The Cherry Tree, Tideswell - Specialising in cakes, sandwiches & home made hot pasties
- Hassop Station Café & Bookshop - A family friendly café right on the Monsal Trail.
- Village Green Cafe, Eyam - in the heart of the beautiful famous 'plague' village of Eyam .
Fresh Delivered Meals & Take Aways
- Sauced Here - fantastic selection of home made prepared meals from local chef/cooks - great for large groups. They also provide a full basket of groceries from local producers that can replace a supermarket delivery
- Scoff - Delicious, Home-Cooked Food, Delivered to You in the Peak District
- Corner Chippy, Tideswell - Fish & Chips
- Elliott’s, Tideswell - Fish & Chips
- The Pizza Merchant - Take away pizza with free delivery within 10 minutes of Tideswell.
- Hope Valley Pizza Co - Take away pizza with free delivery
- Maazi - Sumptuous Indian meal or buffet delivered to your door. Numerous catering options and can also provide waiting on staff and even take away the washing up.
- Curry Cottage at Lovers Leap, Stoney Middleton - Indian take-way in the nearby village of Stoney Middleton
Our Top Places to Visit
1.Walk along Litton Dale
A great circular 4.5 mile walk starting in Litton and incorporating some of the Peak District’s prettiest dales including Water-cum-Jolly Dale. The walk takes you by the river Wye and passes by Cressbrook and Litton Mills (now residential flats) but in the 19th century these mills were notorious for their cruelty and unsavoury employment practices.
Click here for a link to Litton Dale .
2. Spend a day exploring the historic market town of Bakewell
Bakewell is a idylic market town within the Peak District National Park and is a hub of activity. Situated on the River Wye and famous for Bakewell Pudding, you might like to pop into The Old Original Bakewell Pudding Shop which claims to have the old the original recipe and still makes the puddings by hand from the secret recipe.
Click here for a link to further information on Bakewell.
3.The Monsal Trail
With the impressive Monsal Trial so close you must take the opportunity to cycle/walk along this former Railway line which runs from Bakewell right up to Blackwell Mill, near Buxton. The trail offers 8.5 miles of traffic free cycling/walking. The nearest access to the trail is at Miller’s Dale and you can hire bikes at Blackwell Mill. For the more adventuress and adrenaline junkies you can even abseil from Millers Dale Bridge, arguably the most spectacular Peak District abseil site!
4.Visit Castleton and its famous caverns
Castleton is one of the most popular destinations for visitors to the Peak District, it has an array of natural and historical features both above and below ground, and is surrounded by superb walking country. High above the village stand the imposing ruins of Peveril Castle. To the west of Castleton lies Mam Tor offering amazing views and fantastic walking on the ridge. Castleton is most well-known for its four caves, each offering a different experience to the visitor, Peak Cavern, Speedwell Cavern, Treak Cliff Cavern and Blue John Mine. The caverns are a great activity for kids and when the weather does not cooperate for outdoor activities.
Click here for a link to Castleton and the Caves.
5.Chatsworth House and Park
No visit to the Peak District would be complete without visiting the fabulous Chatsworth Estate. There really is something to do for every member of the family - The Farmyard and Adventure playground, the magnificent house and the gardens which are equally as impressive as the house , with the maze, the garden trails, and the famous water cascade to keep the little ones occupied.
Click here for a link to Chatsworth House and Park.
What to Expect at Holborn Cottage
A basic weekend supply of the following (as there are no staff on site if you run out you will have to replace):
- Hand Soap
- Tea / Coffee and Sugar (Basic welcome supply)
- Toilet Rolls (1 on the holder and 1 spare)
- Washing Up Liquid
- Basic Cleaning Products
- 2 x Tea Towels
- 1 x Dish Cloth
- Dustpan & Brush
- Utilities - Electric, Gas, heating and Hot Water
- 1 x Travel Cot (if requested) - please supply your own cot bed linen
- 1 x High Chair (if requested)
- Fresh Linen with beds - made up on arrival
- Fresh Towels - Bath and Hand Towel per guest
- 1 x Log Burner in the lounge - 1 x complimentary basket of logs supplied upon arrival (please supply your own fire lighters or matches)
- 1 x Panasonic Smart TV with DVD player and soundbar
- DAB Radio with Bluetooth
- WIFI - we provide free WIFI however as the Peak District is in a beautiful rural location sometimes there can be intermittent WIFI signal that is beyond our control, we also hope you appreciate that we cannot guarantee WIFI if there are technical issues out of our control.
- Hair Dryer
- Washing Machine & Dryer
- Iron, Ironing Board & Airer
- Please note the stairs are steep so may not be ideal for the less agile of us.
Cooking & Dining
- Microwave (situated in a cupboard under the worktop)
- Recycling Drawer
- Electric Hand Blender
- Under Counter Fridge with freezer compartment
- Gas Hob and Electric Oven
- Roasting Tins, pots, pans
- Wine glasses / tumblers and Champagne flutes
- Plates / bowls / mugs
- Plenty of cutlery and kitchen utensils
- Chopping Boards
- Dining for 5
Should there be a particular cooking item that you need for your stay we do suggest to bring it along with you - for piece of mind.
- BBQ (available for use between 01st April and 31st October) - please supply your own charcoal and lighting equipment.
- 1 x patio table that seats 4 - with Parasol
- The courtyard is fully paved and enclosed with planted shrubs.
- Parking for 1 car - additional parking across the road near the children's play area
You Should Know
- No fireworks due to nearby live stock
- Please note that unfortunately no dogs are allowed at this property.
- Noise Policy - due to the quiet village location, late night noise must be confined to inside the building by 10pm.
- Wifi – we provide free wifi however as the Peak District is in a beautiful rural location sometimes there can be intermittent wifi signal that is beyond our control, we also hope you appreciate that we cannot guarantee wifi if there are technical issues out of our control.
- Due to the character and age of the cottage, please note the stairs are steep so may be unsuitable for the less agile of us.
- The postcode is SK17 8QP
- The nearest town is Bakewell (6 miles away, 15 minute drive)
- Nearest village shop is within the village
- Off road parking for 1 car. There is more parking available across the road in front of the children's play area
- Nearest pub is The Red Lion an easy short walk to the centre of the village
Booking and Payment Process
- We ask for a 25% deposit to confirm a booking
- The balance is due 12 weeks prior to arrival
- Full payment is due upon booking if it is booked with 12 weeks prior to arrival
- A cautionary damage deposit of £200 is held and returned after your stay
- Click here for a full description of how to make a booking
Shopping Delivery Information
For ease, lots of our guests pre-ordered a shopping delivery. You are very welcome to organise this however, please do make sure you have arranged the delivery time slot to arrive after you have checked in, as we are unable to accept it on your behalf (as the property is let as exclusive use there are no Peak Venues staff on site).
Local Shopping Delivery From Local Producers - Sauced Here
Keep it local! Our guests often ask for recommendations for local farm shops and butchers for the all-important celebration meals and this is a brilliant and very easy service. Sauced here has similar functionality to an on line supermarket but is only stocked by local suppliers in the Peak District - order your wine, meat, vegetables,
dairy and so much more with a choice of over a thousand products and at reasonable prices. It's a great service which delivers straight to your holiday cottage or you can click and collect at a local pick up point.