Beautiful large group self catering house full of character in stunning gardens with a riverside setting. A five minute stroll to arguably the most beautiful village in the Peak District, Ashford in the Water. Flexible accommodation for groups of up to 20 guests.
Stunning Large Self Catering Cottage in the Picturesque Village of Ashford in the Water
- River Cottage has been transformed to provide a beautiful large 8 bedroomed house for groups of between 14 to 20 guests.
- Set in a stunning garden setting, right on the banks of the River Wye, enjoy watching the wildlife while sitting in the gorgeous maintained garden.
- Take an easy 5-10 minute stroll down the country lane, passing the famous Sheep Wash bridge along the way, to arguably the most beautiful village in the Peak District National Park, Ashford in the Water.
- You can enjoy visiting two traditional country pubs, a tea room and a village shop with lovely local produce.
- Conveniently located near to Bakewell, known as the ‘heart’ of the Peak District as well as being near to the stately homes of Chatsworth and Haddon Hall.
Bedrooms and Bathrooms
There are eight fabulous bedrooms in total. We know that groups come in all shapes and sizes and have different requirements so there is a mix of doubles, twins and bunk beds so you can pick and choose your layout to suit up to 20 adult guests. The bedroom set up is as follows:
- Bed 1 - twin or double with 'Jack & Jill' en suite shared with Bedroom 2
- Bed 2 - raised platform with double mattress (3ft from floor accessed via steps with low ceiling height) – great for children (not suitable for guests with mobility issues as there are steps up to it) – extra single mattress possible for triple if all children
- Bed 3 - Tucked away off the dining room a bunk bed room suitable for adult guests
- Bed 4 - twin or double with en suite with a walk in shower room
- Bed 5 - twin or double (beautiful shared bathroom opposite)
- Bed 6 - twin or double & full size bunk beds with en suite shower room
- Bed 7 - twin or double & full size bunk beds with en suite shower room
- Bed 8 - twin or double & full size bunk beds with en suite shower room
Please click here for full floor plans.
Cooking and Dining
There is plenty of space to cater for your group with a Range Master double oven with grill and 6 gas hobs plus an additional smaller oven has been added for extra cooking capacity. The kitchen is well stocked with all the equipment and mod cons you need to self cater for large groups. You can enjoy delightful views of the stunning garden and direct access to a large paved terrace, furnish with a BBQ (please remember to bring your own coal) and plenty of patio furniture and outdoor seating.
To one end of the kitchen there is a lovely informal dining space with built in comfortable bench seating and a separate beamed dining room with plenty of space to dine up to 20 guests.
After a day exploring The Peaks, you can relax in the beautifully styled sitting room with the warmth of an electric fire creating a cosy atmosphere. Decorated in neutral decor and filled with gorgeous soft furnishings and comfy sofas. The rich tones of the mahogany finish and solid oak floor provide a lovely place to gather.
The floor to ceiling windows attract masses of light that flood the room and enjoy views of the garden towards the river and the hills beyond.
Garden and Outdoor Space
Although the house is located on the main road (A6 between Buxton and Bakewell), you’ll find the established and beautifully manicured garden to be a riverside refuge. Guests often congregate at the edge of the river of an evening, usually with a glass of wine, and enjoy watching the trout and the ducks competing for food.
There is plenty of garden furniture with an extendible table for outdoor dining. When the weather is kind you could cook outside and use the large BBQ (please remember to bring your own charcoal) so you can eat and drink whilst enjoying some fresh country air, riverside views with dramatic hills as a backdrop.
The Peak District and Surrounding Area
River Cottage is situated on the edge of Ashford-in-the-Water, one of the most scenic and popular villages in the Peak District National Park. You are a few minutes level stroll into the village which is well served with amenities such as country pubs and village store.
Just two miles (3.2 km) to the north west of Bakewell and conveniently located on the main A6, River Cottage makes a great base for visiting the most amazing of Peak District treats for you to enjoy - the ancient market town of Bakewell (2 minutes dive), Chatsworth House (10 mins drive), Haddon Hall (10 minutes drive), historic spa town of Buxton (12 minutes) to name just a few.
Alternatively, head off on foot in whatever direction takes your fancy with access to the most incredible walks and dramatic landscape the Peak District has to offer right from your door step. The famous Monsal Head is one of our recommended circular walks from Ashford or you can drive there to enjoy the view in only 3 minutes.