Roslyn HouseSleeps 10
Stunning contemporary five bedroomed residence offering flexible family and group accommodation for 10 to 12 guests. Within walking distance to the popular market town Bakewell and pretty village of Ashford in the Water. Great access for Chatsworth, country pubs and the walking hub of the Peak District!
Spacious Five Bedroomed Family House Walking Distance to Bakewell
- Spacious five double bedrooms
- Two en suites and one luxury family bathroom
- Sleeps up to 12 guests
- Dog Friendly
- Perfectly located within a mile (easy walking distance) of the famous market town of Bakewell
- A short walk through fields by the meandering River Wye to the picture postcard village of Ashford in the Water which is served by two well respected pubs.
- Beautifully presented and perfect for families
- Decorated in a modern style which has created a large, light and extremely luxurious house, with an eclectic mix and a special blend of contemporary furnishings.
- Ideally located to visit two of Derbyshire's most prestigious stately homes, Chatsworth House and Haddon Hall.
Bedrooms & Bathrooms
This family friendly property can sleep up to 12 guests, there are 5 stylishly decorated bedrooms and high quality linen and towels are provided.
The bedroom layout is as follows:
- Bedroom 1 - King size double or twin with use of family bathroom
- Bedroom 2 - King size double or twin with use of family bathroom
- Bedroom 3 - King size double with en suite shower room
- Bedroom 4 - King size double or twin with use of family bathroom
- Bedroom 5 - King size double or twin with en suite shower room.
- On the ground floor there is also the option of a sofa bed (sleeps 2) being made up in the second sitting room.
There is one large luxurious family bathroom with marble tiling and a large oval bath with shower attachment and two beautiful en suite shower rooms. There is also a downstairs WC.
Please click here for the bedroom layout.
Cooking and Dining
There is a superb dining kitchen fitted with modern beech units and granite work surfaces. It is fully stocked with all the equipment you need to enjoy a self catered group holiday with the added comfort of an integrated dishwasher, washing machine, American style fridge freezer with ice maker and a microwave. There is a Range master stove, with double ovens and five ring gas hob. In the dining area there is a large table and seating for more informal meals.
For alfresco dining, you can step out through the double French doors onto an elevated decked terrace with contemporary glass screening to provide outdoor seating and views to the rear over looking the enclosed garden and woodland beyond.
For more formal meals, you can enjoy dining together in the separate dining room with a table and seating that can accommodate all guests together.
Please click here for the finer details of what to expect at the property.
On entering the property, you are met with an impressive 18ft reception hallway which forms the centre of the house, furnished with black slate flooring and a beautiful oak staircase. Tucked away in the corner is a useful downstairs cloakroom/WC and space to store muddy boots and hang coats.
Certainly the most striking feature of Roslyn House is the sophisticated 22ft lounge which provides masses of comfortable space for guest to relax in. After a day exploring The Peaks, you can relax in the vast room with the warmth of an open fire creating a cosy atmosphere (please supply your own logs and coal). The lounge is equipped with a quality LCD TV and sound system. There are French doors opening onto the decked terrace at the rear of the house.
There is an additional TV room/sitting room, again equipped with a quality LCD TV, sofa bed ( allowing the option for extra one/two guests on a sofa bed) and comfortable seating. This room also works well as a play room for families too.
Please click here for the floorplans of the property.
Garden and Outdoor Space
Outside to the rear of the property is a mature garden with lawn and flowering borders surrounded by low fencing and hedges (not really suitable for ball games!). Tucked away in the corner is a further decked area with outside seating (in addition to the terrace) and BBQ facilities (please bring your own charcoal.)
To the side of the house is another grassed area with garden seating. Secure storage under house provides a lockable cellar with space for up to 10 bikes. To the front is a driveway with private parking for 4 cars.
Due to it's residential location Roslyn House is not suitable for hen and stag groups - we have plenty of other properties we can recommend!
The Peak District and Surrounding Area
You are literally a short drive away from the most amazing of Peak District treats for you to enjoy - Bakewell (2 minutes), Chatsworth House (10 minutes), Haddon Hall (10 minutes) and the historic spa town of Buxton (20 minutes) to name just a few.
From Bakewell you can jump onto The Monsal Trail which can take you all the way off road by foot or bicycle to Buxton with lovely cafes to stop off on the way. Alternatively, head off on foot in whatever direction takes your fancy with access to the most incredible walks and dramatic landscape the Peak District has to offer right from your door step.
Click here for our recommendations to help you plan your stay.
How To Find Us
Please note that the postcode does not take you to the property but to Vernon Green which is the next road on towards Ashford in the Water. Roslyn House is just set back on the main road (A6 that runs between Buxton and Bakewell) between the roads of Vernon Green and Lakeside. Please make sure your guests are aware of this before they travel to help them find the property
The address of Roslyn House is:
Buxton Road,Derbyshire,DE45 1GL
Approx GPS coordinates of the property are:53.218801, -1.690198
Directions to Roslyn House by car from Bakewell (approx. 2 mins):
- Follow signs to the A6 (Buxton Road)- continue along this for 0.6 miles
- You will go past Deepdale Business park on your left
- Very shortly after there will be a road called Lakeside on your right
- Roslyn House is approx. 100m on the right after Lakeside and just before Vernon Green (also on the right handside)
- There will be a sign by the door ‘Roslyn House’
- You have arrived at Roslyn House!
Directions to Roslyn House by car from Buxton (approx. 20 minutes):
- Follow signs to the A6- continue along this for 10.8 miles
- There will be a road called ‘Vernon Green’ on your left, Roslyn House is straight after this (on the corner) on the left handside
- If you get to a road called ‘Lakeside’ on your left or ‘Deepdale Business Park’ on your right you have gone too far.
- There will be a sign by the door ‘Roslyn House’
- You have arrived at Roslyn House!
- Please note, when parking at Roslyn House, please use the driveway provided (fits up to 5 cars if parked close together)
- If you choose to park on Vernon Green, please do not park at the top near the junction, this makes it extremely difficult for other users of that road- if you follow Vernon Green further down there is space to park which will be less of a inconvenience to other motorists/residents.
- If you choose to park on Lakeside, please do not park on the grass verge or the top of the junction.
The following comments are taken straight from the guestbook we keep for Roslyn House. Verbatim.
Connor stayed in July '18
I'd like to thank the Peak Venues team for your help over the past couple of months - I felt that the communication and information from you about Roslyn House was perfect, including the driving instructions, the accommodation layout, and the information about local supermarkets and attractions. When we arrived, Roslyn House was clean, well equipped and spacious, and just right for our family gathering.
Baxter stayed in March '18
We had a great time and much enjoyed the location. Great place to stay.
Walters stayed in October '17
We had a great time in Bakewell and the house was brilliant. We'll certainly consider using Peak Venues again.
Marwick stayed in July '17
We had a fabulous weekend at Roslyn house and it was absolutely perfect for our group.
Townsley stayed in June '17
Thank you for the lovely stay at Roslyn. Overall the house was very spacious and well equipped.
Hollins stayed in May '17
We had a most enjoyable time at Roslyn and very much appreciated the quality of the accommodation which suited us all very well, 91 year old mother included! Many thanks again
Hawley stayed in April '17
We had a great time at Roslyn House.
Maghazachi stayed in April '17
Thank you so much for your email and thank you for a wonderful stay in a lovely house! I would like to take the opportunity to tell you how fantastic our stay was and how happy we were with the accommodation. The house was in a great location, was spacious, well equipped and comfortable. It was perfect for our stay.
Doran stayed in March '17
We had a lovely weekend, thank you.
Hennessey stayed in March '17
We very much enjoyed our stay thank you.
Handa stayed in March '17
The house was a wonderful place to stay and we all had a great time.
Singleton stayed in February '17
We really enjoyed our stay at Roslyn house. Many Thanks
Thornton stayed in February '17
Thank you for your help with Roslyn House, which members of my family very much enjoyed during half term week.
Hammond stayed in January '17
Thank you very much we had a wonderful time and just loved the house.
Booth stayed in November '16
Thank you for our lovely stay at Roslyn House. All was good and the weather fantastic! We enjoyed Chatsworth Christmas, Wye river walks, Hassop walks and Bakewell Christmas.
Byfield stayed in October '16
We had a fantastic break enjoyed by all.
Jarrett stayed in October '16
We had a great time at Roslyn House and it certainly lived up to our expectations; a beautiful property in tip-top condition. Thank you again for a very professional, personal service; we couldn’t have asked for better.
Gibson stayed in September '16
We had a wonderful weekend and really enjoyed staying in the house.
Cunningham stayed in August '16
This is the second time we have booked a holiday home through Peak Venues and were as pleased as we were with the first house we stayed in. Roslyn is in a perfect location so we were able to do lots of walking with the dog and also just stroll into Bakewell or Ashford, where we visited the recommended Bulls Head. The house itself was perfect and we very quickly felt we were at home with all the things you might need to hand. It's lovely to stay somewhere that actually is exactly as described and how we hoped it would be.
Rimmer stayed in August '16
What a fantastic property.We had such a brilliant time. Thank you so much
Mantel stayed in August '16
We had a great weekend thanks. The house was superb.
Smith stayed in August '16
Thank you for a wonderful stay.
Stevens stayed in July '16
We had a great time thank you.
Esmond stayed in July '16
We had a really great stay, thanks.
Esmond stayed in July '16
Just to let you know, we had a fantastic weekend at Roslyn House, it is a beautiful property.
Thaw stayed in June '16
Thank you for your email, we had a great stay. The house was ideal for what we needed! We had a great stay at Roslyn house, it was ideal for our group and everything is finished to a very high standard. Also the perfect location for a stroll into Bakewell!
Bassi stayed in May '16
We all had a great time and loved the place
Vickers stayed in May '16
We had a lovely stay thank you
Winslow stayed in April '16
We returned this afternoon from our wonderful weekend at Roslyn House. I've already submitted my Tripadvisor review which says it all! We all adored staying at the house and would recommend it unreservedly. My 6 yr old grand daughter asked if we could buy it!
Marriott stayed in March '16
Thanks for your email. We all had a lovely time at Roslyn House thank you. The property was great and met our needs for our gathering to celebrate my 40th perfectly
Guy stayed in March '16
Really enjoyed the cottage, worked really well for us and really handy location.
Rose stayed in February '16
We did enjoy our stay in the Peak District. It was a beautiful location for celebrating my Mum's 70th birthday. Roslyn House was nicely presented, comfortable and well equipped.
Kythreotis stayed in February '16
I just wanted to say a big Thank you on behalf of myself and the rest of my family we had a wonderful time at Roslyn House everything was perfect we have lots of lovely memories of my Mums 70th Birthday which all the family will treasure.
Lowe stayed in January '16
We did really enjoy our stay, thank you!
Hill stayed in October '15
Our stay was very enjoyable and it certainly exceeded our expectations and was perfect for the amount of people within our party.
Butterfield stayed in October '15
Thank you for a lovely stay, the house was perfect. We hope to book something with you again in the future.
Blow stayed in October '15
Thanks so much for a wonderful stay at Roslyn, the house was perfect for what we wanted and we had a great time.
Andrews stayed in October '15
Many thanks for your email. We had a wonderful time at Roslyn House and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I will definitely recommend you to friends and use you again when we return to the Peak District
Roberts stayed in October '15
You are an excellent company and if my family and I visit the Peak District again, I would book with your company, no shadow of a doubt.
Byrne stayed in June '15
Thank you very much we had a fantastic stay and loved Roslyn House, its location and everything in it.
May stayed in September '14
What a fabulous weekend we have had. Beautiful house equipped with everything you could need or want. Thank you
Adams stayed in September '14
Have had a great weekend in a lovely house is a great location. Would recommend it to anyone - well equipped. We would all come back
Tooke stayed in September '14
Privileged to be the first guests to stay. This is a beautiful house in an ideal location. Would recommend The Royal Oak as always and our new find The White Lion at Great Longstone. House is well equipped and finished to a very high standard. Everyone at Peak Venues has been very helpful and friendly.
Sign the Guestbook
If you have comments you'd like to leave then please get in touch. We love to hear all feedback - good or bad.
Your Stay At Roslyn House
Our Favourite Places to Eat Nearby
- The Manners, Bakewell - Gastro pub with great food and a family friendly beer garden in the heart of Bakewell
- The Royal Oak , Hurdlow - Our award winning pub offers open fires, hidden corners, local ales and of course ‘great homemade pub food’ as it should be. We can happily cater for groups. Please call to make a reservation or just pop in.
- The Bull, Ashford in the Water - Traditional Robinsons small character pub serving great food in a lovely Derbyshire village with the River Wye flowing through the heart of it. Within walking distance of Roslyn House. Lovely cosy fire in the winter months.
- The Ashford Arms, Ashford in the Water - Again within walking distance from the property a great traditional village pub serving food.
- The Packhorse, Little Longstone - Lovely historic character features in this compact pub – promotes itself with ‘Walkers and Muddy boots welcome.’ It is worth booking a table for a group as it is popular with the locals.
- The White Lion, Great Longstone - Recently refurbished gastro pub situated in the pretty village of Great Longstone.
- Monsal Head Hotel and Stable Bar, Monsal Head - This place has a great viewing area and is a fabulous place to rest and enjoy a pint in the old Stable Barn when walking along the Monsal Trail.
- Devonshire Arms ,Beeley - Set on the Chatsworth Estate, The Devonshire Arms is one of those picturesque country inns at the heart of village life. It offers the charm and character of an historic inn with a contemporary twist! The Brasserie is modern, bright and relaxing while the Inn is cosy and inviting.
- The Red Lion at Litton - Nestled on the green in the picturesque village of Litton, The Red Lion is one of a very few unspoilt traditional Peak District pubs. This historic inn combines character & quality in a way that is rare
in modern pubs.
- The Bull’s Head, Monyash - A traditional pub located in the heart of Monyash, serving good pub food. Popular with families and walkers.
- The Barrel Inn, Bretton - Charming traditional pub with amazing views across the Peak District.
- Pointing Dog & Duck, Bakewell - Great location by the river in Bakewell for an upmarket family friendly Italian Restaurant – Homemade pizzas and pasta are both excellent. Serves both lunch and dinner.
- PieDaniels, Bakewell - A fine French restaurant and cafe bar in the heart of Bakewell offering a selection of fine French & English cuisine.
- Rajas Indian Restaurant, Bakewell - A great Indian restaurant located in the Bridge House just on the edge of the famous Bakewell Bridge. They also do take-aways.
- Juniper, Bakewell - Gin bar with a great pizza menu in the centre of Bakewell. They also do take-away pizza.
- Hassop Hall, Hassop - Set in beautiful gardens and rolling parkland, the hotel and restaurant offers you a retreat where you can relax and enjoy the comforts offered in this family run establishment.
- Aisseford Tea Room, Ashford in the Water - Pretty village tea room with lots of outdoor seating.
- The Bean and Bag, Bakewell - Family run café in the heart of Bakewell
offering locally sourced freshly prepared meals, cakes and scones.
- The Upstairs Café, Bakewell - A nice child –friendly café located in the centre of Bakewell.
- LavenderTea Rooms, Bakewell - A lovely quaint tea room, hidden in the corner of Hebden court, the charming décor includes vintage memorabilia and there’s outside seating in the sheltered courtyard. A great place for afternoon tea.
- Chatsworth Estate Farm Shop Cafe - Located around the back of the award-winning farm shop is this great cafe serving local produce with amazing views over the estate.
- Hassop Station Café & Bookshop - A new family friendly cafe with outdoor covered seating and play, with a focus on food, family & fresh air. Enjoy brunch, lunch or afternoon tea on the terrace on the renown Monsal Trail or in the newly refurbished station building.
- Hobbs Café, Monsal Head Hotel, Monsal Head - Situated at Monsal Head this cosy café offers great views and serves locally made ice cream.
- The Old Smithy Café, Monyash - Rustic! Famous for its breakfast featured in the Top 50 Breakfast Book in the country. Character décor, open year round – walkers and bikers welcome. Also serves lunch daily with dinner on certain days.
Fresh Delivered Meals and Take-Aways
- Sauced Here - fantastic selection of home made prepared meals from local chef/cooks - great for large groups. They also provide a full basket of groceries from local producers that can replace a supermarket delivery
- Scoff - Delicious, home-cooked food, delivered to you in the Peak District
- Bakewell Fish and Chip Shop
- Rajas Indian Restaurant
- Eastern Court (Chinese)
- Juniper (Take-away pizza)
Pointing Dog & Duck, (Take-away pizza)
- Hope Valley Pizza Co - Take away pizza with free delivery
- Maazi -Sumptuous Indian meal or buffet delivered to your door. Numerous catering options and can also provide waiting on staff and even take away the washing up.
Our Top 5 Places to Visit Nearby
1. Spend a day exploring the historic market town of Bakewell
Bakewell is the largest town within the Peak District National Park and is a hub of activity. Market day is on a Monday and as well as a large range of stalls there is also an agricultural market which is definitely worth a look around as it offers a great insight todays farming community. The town also hosts a craft and gift fair every weekend in Brigade town hall. The Bakewell Old House Museum occupies one of the oldest buildings in Bakewell and dates back to 1543, it provides a fascinating glimpse into the towns past and is very interesting and informative with lots to appeal to all ages.Obviously no trip to Bakewell would be complete without sampling an original Bakewell pudding. The Old Original Bakewell Pudding Shop claims to have the old the original recipe and still makes the puddings by hand from the secret recipe.
Click here for a link to further information on Bakewell.
2. Cycle or Walk the Monsal Trail
With the Monsal Trial close by it would be rude not to take the opportunity to cycle/walk along this old Midland Railway line which runs from Bakewell right up to Blackwell Mill, in Chee Dale. The trail offers 8.5 miles of traffic free and mud free cycling/walking and with the recently reopened tunnels offers one of the most spectacular leisure routes in Britain for cycling, walking and horse riding. The nearest cycle hire is at Hassop station which is great place to stop for a bite to eat or for a coffee and nice piece of homemade cake! There is also a lovely little gift shop and book shop and a children’s play area. If walking it also worth leaving the trail and dropping down in to Monsal Dale itself to enjoy walking along down by the river.
3. Explore the pretty village of Ashford in the Water
From the property you there is a lovely short walk through fields by the meandering River Wye to the picture postcard village of Ashford in the Water. Ashford in the Water is probably one of the most beautiful villages in the Peak District and is famous for its beautiful low arched medieval Sheepwash Bridge. You can easily spend an hour or so exploring the pretty village, it is particularly worth visiting when the well dressing festival is on as the village has 6 wells to dress, making it one of the largest well dressings in the area.
Click here for a link to further information on Ashford in the Water.
4.Walk along the Edges
Baslow, Curbar and Froggatt Edges are only a short drive away and offer a spectacular walking route where you can view both the Dark and White Peaks. These three gritstone edges are part an almost continuous line of cliffs running from Stanage Edge down to Birchen Edge at the southern end. These Edges once famous for millstones, are now known as great places to rock climb. There over 200 rock-climbing routes on Curbar Edge alone, making the edges a mecca for walkers and climbers alike. For walkers Baslow Edge also offers interesting features including a memorial to the Duke of Wellington, a
giant rock called the Eagle Stone which in years gone by the young men of Baslow used it to show off their prowess and fitness for marriage by climbing to the top and even some resident Highland cows.There are many different routes, some circular, some linear around the edges and also different staring/finishing points. A nice circular route which also
includes walking along the river Derwent can be viewed by clicking here.
5.Chatsworth House and Park
No visit to the Peak District would be complete without visiting the fabulous Chatsworth House. At Chatsworth there is something to do for every member of the family. The Farmyard and Adventure playground is a brilliant day out for children of all ages - with animal handling, milking demonstrations and daily activities, plus a woodland adventure playground with slides, trampolines and more!Then there is obviously the house itself, steeped with history it’s one of Britain’s greatest stately homes and has been passed down through 16 generations of the Cavendish family. The gardens are equally as impressive as the house, over 100 acres and as well and the beautiful flowers and plants, there are giant water features and sculptures dotted around. Again suitable for all the family, with the maze, the garden trails, and the famous water cascade to keep the little ones occupied.
Click here for a link to Chatsworth House and Park
What To Expect At Roslyn House
A basic weekend supply of the following essentials are supplied (as there are no staff on site if you run out you will have to replace):
- Hand soap
- Shower Gel
- Loo rolls (1 x on the holder and 1 spare per bathroom)
- Washing up liquid
- Cling film &, kitchen foil
- Bin bags
- 5 x dishwasher tablets
- 2 x tea towels
- 1 x dish cloth
- Basic cleaning materials
- Store cupboard essentials – a basic supply of tea, coffee, sugar and salt and pepper.
- Utilities - Electric, gas, heating and hot water
- 2 x travel cot (if requested - please supply your own cot linen)
- 2 x high chairs (if requested)
- Fresh linen with beds made up upon arrival
- Fresh towels - Bath towel for each guest and hand towels in the bathroom
- Open fire in the main lounge – 1 x complimentary basket of logs supplied upon arrival (due to health and safety we cannot supply fire lighters or matches so please bring your own).
- 1 x TVs with Freeview and DVD player in the play room
- LCD TV and sound system in the main lounge
- Ipod docking station - sandstorm (2 or 3 docking stations located throughout the property)
- Hair Dryer (if requested)
- Underfloor heating
- Washing Machine with integrated dryer
- Iron & ironing board
- Sofa bed available – made up upon request
Cooking and Dining
Any kitchen items that are absolutely vital for your stay, please check with us before your visit to ensure that it is at the property (as things do sometimes get broken).
- Kitchen Scales
- Double oven with 5 gas hobs and warming zone,
- American style fridge/freezer
- Pots, pans, roasting tins, crockery, glassware and cutlery
- Double toaster
- Electric whisk
- Kitchen table seats 4
- Dining table seats 10 comfortably with a mix of benches and chairs. This can be increased to 12 if you bring the chairs in from the kitchen.
- Round charcoal BBQ – please bring your own coal
- Balcony terrace with garden furniture
- Garden patio with outdoor furniture
- Under house lockable bike storage
- Please note the garden is not suitable for ball games and is surrounded by low fencing and hedges
You Should Know
- Please note that we are dog friendly at this property however, there are livestock in the surrounding fields and a main road to the front of the property so dogs must be kept under control at all times. For your information, a maximum of one dog is allowed on site if pre-arranged - you will be expected to keep them out
of the bedrooms and off the soft furnishings. We do charge £20 per dog for the duration of your stay. Please see our dog policy for further details.
- Noise Policy - due to the residential location, late night noise must be confined to inside the building by 9pm. Neighbours are in close proximity - not suitable for stag/hen groups or 30th birthday celebrations due to residential area.
- No fire works
- Wifi – we provide free wifi however as the Peak District is in a beautiful
rural location sometimes there can be intermittent wifi signal that is
beyond our control, we also hope you appreciate that we cannot guarantee
wifi if there are technical issues out of our control.
- The postcode is DE45 1GL– Important check directions page for more details as postcode does not take you direct to the property
- The nearest town is Bakewell
- The nearest village is Ashford in the Water
- Parking for 4 cars on the drive
Booking and Payment Process
- We ask for a 25% deposit to confirm a booking
- The balance is due 12 weeks prior to arrival
- Full payment is due upon booking if it is booked with 12 weeks prior to arrival
- A cautionary damage deposit of £400 is held and returned after your stay
- Click here for a full description of how to make a booking
Arrival and Departure
- Check in 3pm or after
- Check out is by 10am prompt
Shopping Delivery Information
For ease, lots of our guests pre-ordered a shopping delivery. You are very welcome to organise this however, please do make sure you have arrange the delivery time
slot to arrive after you have checked in, as we are unable to accept it on your behalf (as the property is let as exclusive use there are no Peak Venus staff on site).
Local Shopping Delivery From Local Producers - Sauced Here
Keep it local! Our guests often ask for recommendations for local farm shops and butchers for the all-important celebration meals and this is a brilliant and very easy service. Sauced Here has similar functionality to an on line supermarket but is only stocked by local suppliers in the Peak District - order your wine, meat, vegetables, dairy and so much more with a choice of over a thousand products and at reasonable prices. It's a great service which delivers straight to your holiday cottage or you can click and collect at a local pick up point.