The Barns, BakewellSleeps 10
Self Catering Holiday Cottage With Five Bedrooms. This Fabulous Barn Conversion Boasts A Prime Position in The Heart Of The Market Town Of Bakewell. A Fantastic Base For Walking, Cycling And Exploring The Peak District. Sleeps Up To 10 Guests.
Family Friendly Five Bedroomed Converted Barns Within A Two Minute Walk To The Heart Of Bakewell.
- 5 Bedrooms.
- 1 Shared Bathroom, 1 family bathroom and a downstairs toilet.
- Sleeps 10 guests.
- Dog Friendly.
- Incredibly spacious self catering holiday home which has been cleverly converted and offers five super stylish bedrooms for groups of up to 10 guests.
- Fantastic location within 150m of the centre of Bakewell and with private parking
- Only a stone’s throw away from the start of the Monsal Trail - walk or cycle for miles on the former railway line and enjoy the stunning scenery along the way.
- Ideally located to visit the beautiful stately homes of Chatsworth House and Haddon Hall, both are only a 10 minute drive away.
- The Barns are nestled at the end of a peaceful narrow lane and provides a quiet haven yet just a few minutes walk from the country chic town centre and the meandering River Wye.
- The Barns have been sympathetically renovated into a countrified yet stylish abode. The décor is light and airy with a fresh modern look.
- Super walking and cycling right from your doorstep—the nearby Lathkill Dale and Monsal Dale are a must!
Bedrooms and Bathrooms
Fabulous for families and mixed groups with five super bedrooms. All bedrooms are freshly decorated and have a light and airy modern feel. The bedrooms are located between two feature oak stair wells leading off the main open plan ground floor:
- Ground Floor Bed 1: With luxury king size bed and Smart TV
- Ground Floor Bed 2: With full size adult bunk beds
- First Floor Bed 3: With luxury king size bed and Smart TV.
- First Floor Bathroom: super stylish modern suite with shower over the bath, toilet and heated towel rail.
- First Floor Bed 4: With luxury double bed and Smart TV
- First Floor Bed 5: With luxury king size bed and Smart TV.
- First Floor Bathroom: super stylish modern suite with bath, shower cubicle, toilet and heated towel rail.
Click here for the bedroom layout.
Cooking and Dining
The kitchen is well stocked with all the equipment and mod cons you need to self cater for your guests. With electric oven, gas hob, microwave, double under the counter fridge, freezer, dishwasher and French doors leading out to the garden. There is a separate utility room with coin-operated washing machine and tumble dryer.
In the open plan main communal space you can enjoy dining together round the large oak table with comfortable seating for up to 10 guests.
You could pop down to Bakewell and purchase an abundance of local produce (there is a regular Farmers Market in the town on the last Saturday of each month and a regular market every Monday throughout the year) and take full advantage of the stunning kitchen preparing delicious holiday meals.
Please click here for the finer details of what to expect at the property.
The Barns has been beautifully restored by cleverly adjoining two derelict stone buildings. The property has been converted to a very high standard throughout with ample space for a group of ten guests to enjoy a self catering stay.
With a great mix of old and new, the modern open plan social space on the ground floor has large floor to ceiling windows over looking the garden, creating a lovely light and airy feel. The lounge area is furnished with plush leather sofas.
Click here for the floorplans of the property.
Garden and Outdoor Space
Tucked quietly away from the hustle and bustle of this popular market town, you turn into a narrow lane (approx 3 metres wide) where you approach a five bar gate (this is narrow too so do check the width of you car is less than 2.44m). You enter into a gorgeous and well maintained private garden which is laid to lawn with flowering borders. There is a wonderful entertainment patio furnished with outdoor lounge sofas and BBQ facilities available for use from 01st April through to 31st October, please supply your own charcoal and lighting equipment.
To make the most of the stunning surrounding area you are very welcome to bring bikes. The Barns is a perfect base for cycling in the Peaks as there is a secure storage shed for approx 10 bikes and a hose to wash down muddy wheels —perfect if you are keen cyclists.
The provision for private parking for 5 cars means you can park up for your entire stay if you choose and explore Bakewell and its surrounding villages by foot or bike due to fabulous central location.
Bakewell and The Peak District
Just a 2 minute easy walk down the hill you arrive at the central hub of Bakewell just outside The Rutlands Arms. Bakewell which is famous for its Bakewell Pudding (with the Original Pudding Shop open every day for you to buy this famous treat), also has a variety of independent shops, an abundance of lovely cafes, restaurants and pubs for you to explore and enjoy.
You are literally a short drive away from the most amazing of Peak District treats for you to enjoy - Chatsworth House (10 minutes), Haddon Hall (10 minutes), historic spa town of Buxton (20 minutes) to name just a few.
Alternatively, pop on your boots and head off on foot in whatever direction takes your fancy with access to the most incredible walks and dramatic landscape the Peak District has to offer. We recommend you jump onto the Monsal Trail or drive a short distance to the village of Monyash to walk the Lathkill Dale or head to Ashford in the Water to view the impressive Monsal Dale.
Please click here for our recommendations to help you plan your stay.
How To Find Us
The address of The Barns is:
South Church Street, Bakewell, Derbyshire. DE45 1FD.
Approx GPS coordinates of the property are: 53.212438, -1.677454
Directions to The Barns from Buxton (approx. 20 minutes):
Directions to The Barns from Bakewell (less than 1 minute):
The following comments are taken straight from the guestbook we keep for The Barns, Bakewell. Verbatim.
anonymous stayed in December '19
Peak Venue service was wonderful, and our homeowners were lovely and also very helpful. We had a magical stay in Bakewell. Thank you for all of your assistance prior to, during, and after. And thank you also, to the Sauced staff for delivering groceries prior to our arrival.
Marrison stayed in October '19
We had a fabulous weekend thank you The property is lovely
anonymous stayed in October '19
We had a very relaxing weekend at this lovely property Very well situated for all the facilities Bakewell has to offer Would recommend this lovely property to friends and family
Dowling-Jones stayed in September '19
We had a super time at The Barns in Bakewell.
anonymous stayed in July '19
Loved it, thank you for everything.
anonymous stayed in June '19
Gary was a fab host and made sure we had everything we needed. The house was immaculate and finished to a very high standard. The location was brilliant!
anonymous stayed in May '19
We had a brilliant weekend at The Barns. The property is fantastic, with stunning views and a great location.
Coaker stayed in May '19
We had a wonderful time in that amazing and immaculate property.
anonymous stayed in March '19
The house was lovely and very well equipped- thank you.
anonymous stayed in February '19
Had a lovely stay- house is beautiful. Well equipped and a very nice home from home. Fantastic location and 2 year old Arthur loved the bath.
anonymous stayed in January '19
Just fantastic, house immaculate, cosy and welcoming. Loved our stay.
anonymous stayed in December '18
A fabulous Christmas with all the family from 2 to 92 years old. Superb in every way we really felt we were at home and able to welcome many of the extended family for big lunches and long walks. Many, many thanks Gary and Linda we'll be back.
anonymous stayed in November '18
Fantastic Home and location, our stay was truly wonderful. 10 of us from around the country watched one of our best friends tie the knot. Hope to stay again.
anonymous stayed in November '18
Excellent Venue, very warm and cosy. Suited our family nicely for our weekend. Thank you Gary.
anon stayed in November '18
The 8 of us had a lovely stay in The Barns. Very comfortable, quiet and well appointed. Great central location. Thank you!
Anonymous stayed in October '18
A lovely house to spend a weekend with friends - really comfortable , we had a great time. Thank you
Poole stayed in September '18
Fantastic venue and location for 80th birthday celebrations. We thoroughly enjoyed every single second of the weekend, memories to treasure. Looking forward to a return visit for the next family 'do'. Many Thanks
The Class of 92 stayed in September '18
Much fun had by all. A fantastic house and very well equipped. Thank you
Anonymous stayed in September '18
Beautiful house, fantastic location in a gorgeous town. Enjoyed every minute of our reunion weekend. Thank you for sharing your house.
Bowden stayed in September '18
Beautiful, comfortable house, we truly enjoyed it. Thank you very much.
Anonymous stayed in August '18
Thank you for letting us stay in your beautiful house, we had a lovely time.
Jones stayed in August '18
Thank you for a lovely stay for a 60th birthday! Perfect space for us all and accommodating for a small baby. We've had a wonderful time and loved our visit to Bakewell. Thank you.
Musgrave stayed in August '18
We have thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. The house has been excellent for us to home our extended family. The space and layout have suited us very well. The close proximity to the the town centre has been a bonus and location a great springboard from which to explore this lovely area.
Benson stayed in August '18
Fantastic house and we've spent an amazing week exploring the area.
Jones stayed in August '18
Ideal venue for our family get together. Everything was perfect. Many Thanks
Anonymous stayed in July '18
Thank you for letting us stay at your lovely Barns, it is a wonderful place. We have had a lovely holiday, 9 members of an extended family from all over the UK and your property was perfect.
Amy and John stayed in July '18
Thank you for a lovely weekend in Bakewell. The house is fantastic and has all the facilities we required including some fantastic kitchen equipment (everything you would want to feed a large group of people!) Thank you
Taylor stayed in May '18
We've had a lovely week to celebrate my husbands 70th birthday. there were nine of us, three generations aged 5-70 and we all enjoyed our stay.
Whewell, Chapling & Cajee stayed in May '18
We had a lovely weekend at The Barns. The house was perfect for 3 generations (ages 2 - 80) and in a wonderful location to explore the area. Only downside was having to leave! Thanks
Welch stayed in April '18
Thank you for a terrific weekend to celebrate our dads 60th birthday. The house is beautiful and perfect for a family get together.
Brind stayed in March '18
Thank you so much, an amazing house, perfect for my 40th birthday celebrations. Loved the lounge and kitchen set up and the kitchen is so well equipped. Thank you
Jackson stayed in March '18
Thank you both so much for letting us stay in your beautiful home. We've had a wonderful time here.
Jackson stayed in February '18
We had a wonderful stay earlier this year 2018. The Barns have been beautifully renovated with no expense spared, The specification of all the rooms is high, with a great bluetooth/WIFI/Bose sound system in the lounge area. The kitchen has everything you could wish for, with very high quality equipment, and there is a well tended quiet garden with plenty of parking. Gary and Linda are a very helpful and friendly couple and we look forward to coming to stay again soon. Thank you very much!
Killawee stayed in February '18
Thank you for making our stay wonderful. We have had a fantastic time here at The Barns for 50th birthday celebrations and could not have asked for anymore everything was perfect.
Aitchison stayed in December '17
We all had a lovely time at The Barns and Gary was very helpful, especially as the dishwasher broke down on Christmas Day. I hope he got it fixed !!
Furness stayed in October '17
Just to say what a fabulous weekend my family and I had in the gorgeous Barns in Bakewell! Stunning, fabulous, spacious, accommodation with every need thought of and every comfort accommodated! Great location too so near to the lovely town of Bakewell! We had a great time and will definitely return! Also had a fab Indian takeaway on Saturday evening from Rajas in the town - great food, service and price! The owner we met, Gary, was exceptionally helpful and very welcoming and his home is beautiful! Would definitely recommend coming here to anyone!! Thank you Gary, Linda and Peak Venues so very much!
Crozier stayed in October '17
We had a great stay at the Barns in Bakewell. The accommodation was even better than it looks on the website. It was a great size for our party (6 adults, 3 children – 3 generations). The facilities were really good, we had everything needed & off street parking for 3 cars was a complete bonus. Location was fantastic. Very short walk into the town centre with great pubs – wish we could have sampled more of them! The pubs get very busy so worth booking a table, especially if you are a large group. Gary was very friendly and helpful, and took the time to show us everything, and made the point of letting us know he was on hand in case needed (he runs the Queens in the town centre, well worth a visit too!). Lots to see and do in the area. We hope to be back to explore a bit more. Thank you
Lampard stayed in October '17
We really enjoyed our stay at The Barns it is a beautiful house in a lovely location we would have loved to stay longer The barns décor is modern and finished to a high standard the kitchen appliances were excellent, beds were very comfortable - we felt very much at home.
Parker stayed in August '17
Many thanks - we had a perfect stay, our parents were in awe of the house- and the weather was kind too! Thanks again - we will definitely recommend Peak Venues to our friends, particularly helpful were the detailed directions!!
Sign the Guestbook
If you have comments you'd like to leave then please get in touch. We love to hear all feedback - good or bad.
Your Stay At The Barns, Bakewell
Our Favourite Places to Eat Nearby
- The Manners, Bakewell - Gastro pub with great food and a family friendly beer garden in the heart of Bakewell
- The Royal Oak, Hurdlow - Our award winning pub offers open fires, hidden corners, local ales and of course ‘great home-made pub food’ as it should be. We can happily cater for groups - booking advised.
- The Bull, Ashford in the Water - Traditional Robinson's small character pub serving great food in a lovely Derbyshire village with the River Wye flowing through the heart of it. Lovely cosy fire in the winter months.
- The Packhorse, Little Longstone - Lovely historic character features in this compact pub – promotes itself with ‘Walkers and Muddy boots welcome.’ It is worth booking a table for a group as it is popular with the locals.
- The White Lion, Great Longstone - Recently refurbished gastro pub situated in the pretty village of Great Longstone.
- Devonshire Arms, Beeley- Set on the Chatsworth Estate, The Devonshire Arms is one of those picturesque country inns at the heart of village life. It offers the charm and character of an historic inn with a contemporary twist! The Brasserie is modern, bright and relaxing while the Inn is cosy and inviting.
- The Bull’s Head, Monyash - A traditional pub located in the heart of Monyash, serving good pub food. Popular with families and walkers.
- The Barrel Inn, Bretton - Charming traditional pub with amazing views across the Peak District.
- The Woodyard, Bakewell - Great location by the river in Bakewell for a family friendly Restaurant – Serves both lunch and dinner.
- PieDaniels, Bakewell - A fine French restaurant and cafe bar in the heart of Bakewell offering a selection of fine French & English cuisine.
- Rajas Indian Restaurant - A great Indian restaurant located in the Bridge House just on the edge of the famous Bakewell Bridge. They also do take-aways.
- Juniper, Bakewell - Gin bar with a great pizza menu in the centre of Bakewell. They also do take-away pizza.
- The Bean and Bag, Bakewell - Family run café in the heart of Bakewell offering locally sourced freshly prepared meals, cakes and scones.
- The Upstairs Café, Bakewell - A nice child –friendly café located in the centre of Bakewell.
- Lavender Tea Rooms, Bakewell - A lovely quaint tea room, hidden in the corner of Hebden court, the charming décor includes vintage memorabilia and there’s outside seating in the sheltered courtyard. A great place for afternoon tea.
- Chatsworth Estate Farm Shop Cafe - Located around the back of the award-winning farm shop is this great cafe serving local produce with amazing views over the estate.
- Hassop Station Café & Bookshop - A new family friendly cafe with outdoor covered seating and play, with a focus on food, family & fresh air. Enjoy brunch, lunch or afternoon tea on the terrace on the renown Monsal Trail or in the newly refurbished station building.
- Wyes Waters Tea Rooms - A family friendly cafe in the heart of Bakewell offering a good range of reasonably priced meals
- Aisseford Tea Room, Ashford in the Water - Pretty village tea room with lots of outdoor seating.
- Hobbs Café, Monsal Head Hotel, Monsal Head - Situated at Monsal Head this cosy café offers great views and serves locally made ice cream.
- The Old Smithy Café, Monyash - Rustic! Famous for its breakfast featured in the Top 50 Breakfast Book in the country. Character décor, open year round – walkers and bikers welcome. Also serves lunch daily with dinner on certain days.
Fresh Delivered Meals and Take-Aways
- Sauced Here- fantastic selection of home made prepared meals from local chef/cooks - great for large groups. They also provide a full basket of groceries from local producers that can replace a supermarket delivery.
- Scoff - Delicious, home-cooked food, delivered to you in the Peak District
- Bakewell Fish and Chip Shop
- Rajas Indian Restaurant
- Eastern Court (Chinese)
- Juniper (Take-away pizza)
- Hope Valley Pizza Co - Take away pizza with free delivery
- Maazi -Sumptuous Indian meal or buffet delivered to your door. Numerous catering options and can also provide waiting on staff and even take away the washing up.
Our Top 5 Places to Visit Nearby
1. Spend a day exploring the historic market town of Bakewell
Bakewell is the largest town within the Peak District National Park and is a hub of activity. Market day is on a Monday and as well as a large range of stalls there is also an agricultural market which is definitely worth a look around as it offers a great insight todays farming community. The town also hosts a craft and gift fair every weekend in Brigade town hall. The Bakewell Old House Museum occupies one of the oldest buildings in Bakewell and dates back to 1543, it provides a fascinating glimpse into the towns past and is very interesting and informative with lots to appeal to all ages. Obviously no trip to Bakewell would be complete without sampling an original Bakewell pudding. The Old Original Bakewell Pudding Shop claims to have the old the original recipe and still makes the puddings by hand from the secret recipe.
Click here for a link to further information on Bakewell.
2. Cycle or Walk the Monsal Trail
With the Monsal Trail close by (access to the trail is a short walk across Bakewell from the Barns) it would be rude not to take the opportunity to cycle/walk along this old Midland Railway line which runs from Bakewell right up to Blackwell Mill, in Chee Dale. The trail offers 8.5 miles of traffic free and mud free cycling/walking and with the recently reopened tunnels offers one of the most spectacular leisure routes in Britain for cycling, walking and horse riding. The nearest cycle hire is at Hassop station which is great place to stop for a bite to eat or for a coffee and nice piece of home made cake! There is also a lovely little gift shop and book shop and a children’s play area.
3. Chatsworth House and Park
No visit to the Peak District would be complete without visiting the fabulous Chatsworth House. At Chatsworth there is something to do for every member of the family. The Farmyard and Adventure playground is a brilliant day out for children of all ages - with animal handling, milking demonstrations and daily activities, plus a woodland adventure playground with slides, trampolines and more!Then there is obviously the house itself, steeped with history it’s one of Britain’s greatest stately homes and has been passed down through 16 generations of the Cavendish family. The gardens are equally as impressive as the house, over 100 acres and as well and the beautiful flowers and plants, there are giant water features and sculptures dotted around.
Click here for a link to Chatsworth House and Park
4. Take a tour around the Thornbridge Brewery
This award winning brewery is just down the road from the property and for any real ale lover taking a tour of this state-of-the art brewery is not to be
missed. Tours take place very Wednesday and Friday at 3pm, booking is advisable. Also if you are lucky enough to be staying with us in the last week of the month, the brewery holds two socials on the last Wednesday (5-9pm) and the last Saturday (12-8pm) of each month. They generally have a range of 10 cask and keg Thornbridge beers, including Thornbridge favourites and also some of their rarer beers. They also run brewery tours on these socials at 6 and 7pm on the Wednesday and 3 and 5pm on the Saturday, again booking is advisable.
Click here for further information on Thornbridge Brewery
5.Visit Haddon Hall
After Chatsworth, Haddon Hall is the second most popular historic house in the Peak District. Haddon Hall dates back from the 12th century and is a fine example of a fortified medieval manor house, very little has changed over the centuries in fact the most modern room in the house is the Elizabethan long gallery! As Haddon Hall provides a unique view of early English life it makes the property very popular as a film and TV location, various versions of Jane Eyre have been filmed at Hall as well as Pride and Prejudice, The Other Boleyn Girl and most recently Death come to Pemberley, however these are just a few of the Hall film and TV appearances. The Hall is open to the public, however please note that it does close for periods throughout the winter season, so please check its website for its opening times and special events.
Click here for a link to Haddon Hall.
What To Expect At The Barns
A basic weekend supply of the following (as there are no staff on site if you run out you will have to replace):
- Loo rolls (1 x on the holder and 1 spare per bathroom)
- Washing up liquid
- Cling film &, kitchen foil
- Bin bags
- 5 x dishwasher tablets
- 2 x tea towels
- 1 x dish cloth
- Basic cleaning materials
- Store cupboard essentials – a basic supply of tea, coffee, sugar and salt and pepper.
- Utilities - Electric, gas, heating and hot water
- Fresh linen with beds made up upon arrival
- Fresh towels - Bath towel for each guest and hand towels in the bathroom
- 1 x travel cot (if requested) please bring your own cot bed linen
- 1 x high chair (if requested)
- 1 x hair-dryer
- Gas central heating through out, underfloor heating on the ground floor.
- 5 Smart TV's throughout the property, 1 in the lounge and the other 4 TV's in bedrooms 1,3,4 and 5.
- 1 x Bose bluetooth speaker
- Coin-operated washing machine and tumble dryer.
- Iron & ironing board
Cooking and Dining
Any kitchen items that are absolutely vital for your stay, please check with us before your visit to ensure that it is at the property (as things do sometimes get broken).
- Hot Plate
- Electric oven, separate gas hob
- Double under counter fridge
- Under counter freezer
- Pots, pans, roasting tins, crockery, glassware and cutlery
- Double toaster
- Kitchen scales
- 1 x cafetiere
- Dining table and chairs for 10 guests.
- Patio area with outdoor furniture available for use from 01st April through to 31st October.
- BBQ – available for use from 01st April through to 31st October, please supply your own charcoal and lighting equipment.
- Secure storage for up to 10 bikes in a lockable shed.
You Should Know
- Please note that we are dog friendly at this property however dogs must be kept under control at all times. For your information, a maximum of two dogs are allowed on site if pre-arranged - you will be expected to keep them out of the bedrooms and off the soft furnishings. We do charge £20 per dog for the duration of your stay. Please see our dog policy for further details.
- Noise Policy - due to the residential location, late night noise must be confined to inside the building by 10pm. Neighbours are in close proximity - not suitable for stag/hen groups or 30th birthday celebrations due to residential area.
- Access to the property is down a short narrow lane (approx 3 metres wide) and through a five bar gate, this is also narrow so do check that the width of you car is less than 2.44m. There is private parking for up to 5 cars at the property.
- No fire works.
- Wifi – we provide free wifi however as the Peak District is in a beautiful rural location sometimes there can be intermittent wifi signal that is beyond our control, we also hope you appreciate that we cannot guarantee wifi if there are technical issues out of our control.
- The postcode is DE45 1FD - Important please check directions page for detailed directions.
- 150m from the centre of Bakewell.
- Chatsworth Estate is only a 10 minute drive away and the spa town of Buxton is a 20 minute drive away.
- There is private parking for up to 3 cars at the property.
Booking and Payment Process
- We ask for a 25% deposit to confirm a booking
- The balance is due 12 weeks prior to arrival
- Full payment is due upon booking if it is booked with 12 weeks prior to arrival
- A cautionary damage deposit of £300 is held and returned after your stay
- Click here for a full description of how to make a booking
Shopping Delivery Information
For ease, lots of our guests pre-ordered a shopping delivery. You are very welcome to organise this however, please do make sure you have arranged the delivery time
slot to arrive after you have checked in, as we are unable to accept it on your behalf (as the property is let as exclusive use there are no Peak Venues staff on site).
Local Shopping Delivery From Local Producers - Sauced Here
Keep it local! Our guests often ask for recommendations for local farm shops and butchers for the all-important celebration meals and this is a brilliant and very easy service. Sauced Here has similar functionality to an on line supermarket but is only stocked by local suppliers in the Peak District - order your wine, meat, vegetables, dairy and so much more with a choice of over a thousand products and at reasonable prices. It's a great service which delivers straight to your holiday cottage or you can click and collect at a local pick up point.