Swallow BarnSleeps 12
Full of charm and immense character is this beautiful period limestone converted barn. Positioned in the lovely village of Monyash you can walk to the head of the Lathkill Dale in a heart beat and enjoy the most stunning scenery in the Peak District National Park. Swallow Barn provides generous self-catering holiday accommodation perfect for groups of family and friends of 10 - 14 guests.
Luxury Fived Bedroomed Self Catering Converted Holiday Barn in the Heart of Monyash Village
- Super fully refurbished period limestone converted barn in the lovely village of Monyash.
- Swallow Barn provides generous family self-catering holiday accommodation in the heart of the Peak District, perfect for 10 guests and up to 14 if you are a family group.
- There are 5 beautiful bedrooms, 3 en suites and 1 shared bathroom, a superb 32' open plan dining kitchen, separate snug, and a super sitting room with Inglenook fireplace perfect for relaxing by the open fire.
- Walking distance to a traditional country pub with a fantastic children’s park to the rear and a village café, popular with walkers and cyclists.
- Only a short drive (10 minutes) to the historic market town of Bakewell and the spa town of Buxton.
- You can literally walk from your doorstep to Lathkill Dale National Nature Reserve which is one is of the most beautiful and well known walks in the Peak District.
Bedrooms and Bathrooms
Swallow Barn offers plenty of flexible family accommodation with a total of five super bedrooms, three en suites and one shared bathroom. The layout is as follows:
- Bedroom 1 – Double bed with en suite shower
- Bedroom 2 - Super king size double or twin and a bunk bed with en suite
- Bedroom 3 - Double or twin with Jack and Jill en-Suite shower/bathroom shared with bedroom 4
- Bedroom 4 - Double or twin with the en-suite Jack & Jill facilities shared with bedroom 3
A door from bedroom 4 leads to the second landing where there is a staircase leading down to the snug with a sofa bed.
A door from the second landing opens to:
- Bedroom 5 - Double or twin with en suite shower
Please click here for the bedroom layout.
Cooking and Dining
The entrance hall provides plenty of space for coats and muddy boots. It is a great place for up to two dogs to sleep as it has a stone flagged floor which continues into the kitchen.
The open plan dining kitchen has a bespoke range of Shaker style cabinets in a hand painted soft grey finish with a large expanse of oak work surfaces which incorporate a generous breakfast bar with seating beneath. Plenty of space to cook for your group in the Range Master triple oven. There is an American style larder fridge/freezer, microwave and integrated dish washing. The kitchen is well stocked with all the equipment and mod cons you need to self cater for large groups.
In the central space is the communal dining area with a table to seat 12 guests. The room enjoys a delightful dual aspect with French doors opening directly onto a enclosed landscaped garden.
Please click here for the finer details of what to expect at the property.
A gorgeous sitting room with an impressive Inglenook style stone fireplace over 7' feet wide with French style cast iron open fire place. Oak boarded floor throughout and French windows which open directly onto landscaped and enclosed gardens flood the room with light.
A door leads through to a snug which is perfect as a children’s play room. The snug has been set up with comfy seating (sofa can be used as a sofa bed upon request) board games, table football and an extra TV and DVD. From the snug, there is an alternative staircase that leads to bedroom five.
Please click here for the floorplans.
Garden and Outside Space
Swallow Barn enjoys a sheltered garden framed with limestone walls. The garden has been particularly well landscaped with raised borders stocked with raised shrubbed herbaceous and scented beds. You are also welcome to help yourself to an array of fresh herbs.
There is a level lawned area adjacent to which is a gravelled patio offering privacy and a wonderful external dining space with outdoor seating and a BBQ (please bring your own coal).
Swallow Barn is a perfect property for families and mixed groups who are looking for a stay in the Peak District stay with plenty of choice of country pursuits but are not looking for a party venue. Due to the residential location it is not suitable for hen and stag groups - we have plenty of other properties we can recommend!
The Peak District and Surrounding Area
There is heaps to explore in the immediate surrounding area and beyond, with stunning countryside and majestic peaks where every season can be enjoyed winter or summer.
Cycling round the country lanes is a real treat too with wonderful scenery to enjoy. Within a couple of miles (1.7 miles) you can join The Tissington and High Peak Trial and bike all the way to Ashbourne.
There are towns and pretty villages aplenty. The famous spa town of Buxton and the market town of Bakewell are both just a short 10 minute drive. Dovedale, Chatsworth House, Tissington and Haddon Hall are all within an easy drive as is Alton towers Resort which is within a 35 minute drive too.
Click here for our recommendations to help plan your stay.
How To Find Us
The address of Swallow Barn is:
Church Street, Monyash, Nr Bakewell, Derbyshire, DE45 1JH
Approx. GPS coordinates of the property are 53.195138, -1.772419The postcode takes you to a nearby farm so please follow the directions
Directions to Swallow Barn from Buxton (approx. 15 minutes):
- From Buxton follow signs to the A515 to Ashbourne
- Follow A515 for 6.8 miles
- You will come to a very slightly staggered crossroads with ‘Monyash, Bakewell (B5055)’ signposted left and ‘Hurdlow, Crowdecote, Longnor’ signposted right (There is very often a large pile of rock salt on your left hand-side on the corner of the turning!)
- Take a left here onto Tagg Lane (B5055) towards Monyash & Bakewell
- Follow Tagg Lane (B5055) down into Monyash for 1.4 miles
- You will go past The Old Smithy Tearooms & The Bull’s Head on your left hand-side, continue forward and there is a stone building on your left hand-side with full length brown wooden windows (The Village Hall)
- Approx. 100m after this Swallow Barn is on your left hand-side (please use roadside parking to the front of the property)
- You have arrived at Swallow Barn!
Directions to Swallow Barn from Bakewell (approx. 10 minutes):
- From Bakewell centre, take the B5055 between The Rutland Arms Hotel and The Bakewell Book & Gift Shop signposted to Over Haddon & Monyash (King Street, becomes S Church Street)
- Follow the B5055 (turns into Monyash Road) for 4.6 miles
- When the speed limit changes to 30 there is a house on your right hand side with a large gravel car park with a sign saying ‘Spingle Barn’
- Swallow Barn is straight after this on the right hand-side (please use roadside parking to the front of the property)
- You have arrived at Swallow Barn!
- Follow signs for A515 to Buxton- follow A515 for appox 11.5 miles
- On your left handside there will be a white building on the corner and it will be signposted to ‘Pilsbury & Parlsey Hay’ go past this turning and a few metres later there will be a right turn signposted to ‘Youlgreave, Monyash, Arbor Low’, take this turning onto ‘The Rake’
- Follow Rakes Road down for 0.2 miles
- At the crossroads (with The Old Smithy café & The Bulls Head infront of you) turn right
- Follow the road down for 0.2 miles
- There is a stone building on your left hand-side with full length brown wooden windows (The Village Hall)
- Approx. 100m after this Swallow Barn is on your left hand-side (please use roadside parking to the front of the property)
- You have arrived at Swallow Barn!
Directions to Swallow Barn from Ashbourne (approx. 25 minutes):
Why not take a closer look. Using state of the art technology we can let you take a walk around the wholeof this property.
If you're using a phone or a tablet, you may find the tour easier to navigate in a window of its own. Click here to launch.
The following comments are taken straight from the guestbook we keep for Swallow Barn. Verbatim.
Hibbitt stayed in April '18
We've had a lovely time here! We came for my mum's 70th birthday. Amazing to spend quality time with the people you love the most in the world. The cottage has provided us with so much space and comfort. The Bulls Head is great and a convenient pub to relax. The Royal Oak is definitely worth a nice walk, beautiful food and amazing service. The cottage is in a perfect location for dog walks. Great family experience. I've had an amazing time staying in this wonderful cottage it's so cosy and warm. I've had an adventure through the woods. I would love to come back to this place. (aged 9yrs)
Milligan stayed in February '18
Thanks you for a lovely stay and very well equipped and comfortable home. We will recommend Swallow barn to anyone wanting to stay in the area
Ruggeri stayed in February '18
Thank you so much for having us at your beautiful barn! We really didn't want to leave it as it is so homely. We were so comfortable and had a lovely stay. We will definitely recommend this property to anyone wanting to come and stay in this area. Thanks again
Ruggeri stayed in February '18
Many thanks for a great stay!
The Hamlen Family stayed in January '18
An amazing house in a beautiful setting. Absolutely perfect for a family get together to celebrate Mum's 65th birthday with a flamingo theme. Weather ideal for some walking.
Hamlen stayed in January '18
We had a great time at Swallow Barn which completely met our expectations. It was the perfect venue for a family celebration. Many thanks for managing my booking in such an efficient and professional manner.
Harries Family stayed in January '18
What a wonderful place to have a family get together after the New Year. We loved all the space and the children particularly enjoyed playing hide and seek! We didn't mind the weather as the house was so warm and welcoming. We managed to experience the fine food at the Bull's Head and spent a little time exploring the village. Thank you for sharing your beautiful home. We will be taking many happy memories back to Canada.
Loves, Liles, Moffats, Reyds stayed in January '18
Started with snow first morning so road walk to Hurdlow and lunch at the Royal Oak- highly recommended. Also did great walk up to Monsal Head from Ashford- The Packhorse at Little Longstone looked fab - but was full (book ahead) so White Lion at Great Longstone played a blinder as a late substitute in injury time. Saved best for last - walking down Lathkil Dale spotted Fairy house and 12 waterfalls - great beer at Lathkil Hotel in Over Haddon. Magical day even with a bit of rain.
Joseph,Andrew,James,Jill and Jack stayed in January '18
Thanks for letting us stay in your lovely home. It was a perfect home from home for us with lots of space for us all to relax into in all our different ways. We didn't even notice the weather when the house was so welcoming. Had a lovely meal in the Bulls Head at Monyash: Excellent service, nice surroundings, great fire, if somewhat uncomplicated food - fitted the bill perfectly! Hope to return one day as it made such a lovely stay
Webb stayed in December '17
Thank you we had a lovely stay and will certainly contact you again next year.
The Hickey's stayed in November '17
Lovely stay, many thanks. Beautiful accommodation. recommend the Midland Train Line for kids, includes puppet show. Fantastic.
Tarpey stayed in November '17
Thank you for all the information and advice you sent during the booking process which helped me organise our break. We had a lovely family weekend at Swallow Barn which was made even better by the lovely weather. We met Suzanne there who gave us a very warm welcome and a quick run through of the necessaries which is always appreciated when you go to a new house. I have already passed on your details to a friend of a friend who is looking for a similar type of accommodation! Once again thank you for you help and we would definitely book with Peak Venues again.
Maltby stayed in October '17
We've had a wonderful 4 night stay here at Swallow Barn - what a fabulous cottage. Perfect for our family group of 10. Well appointed rooms, lovely sung areas and the fire made for relaxing evenings with a glass of wine when the boys had gone to bed. Thank you!
Jackson stayed in October '17
We've had a wonderful 4 night stay here at Swallow Barn - what a fabulous cottage. Perfect for our family group of 10. Well appointed rooms, lovely snug areas and the fire made for relaxing evenings with a glass of wine when the boys had gone to bed. Thank you!!
Lowe & Rimmington Families & Halle the dog stayed in October '17
We have had a wonderful weekend here, a family celebration of leslie's 90th birthday. We could not have had a better venue Swallow Barn is beautiful- so comfortable, warm, very well fitted out. Thank you, we shall never forget it. P.s we love the art work and the attention to detail.
Lowe stayed in October '17
We have had a wonderful weekend here, a family celebration of Leslie's 90th birthday. We could not have had a better venue, Swallow Barn is beautiful - so comfortable, warm and very well fitted out. Thank you. We shall never forget it! P.s. We love the artwork and the attention to detail.
Samarji stayed in October '17
Thank you for letting us stay in a wonderful place, I enjoyed it so much. I would love to come again and stay longer. Please never change the house (cottage) as it's pretty and unique. Once I passed this cottage with my school and they told us about the cottage, I replied "one day I would love to stay at Swallow Barn also go to the Duke of York." Here I am now, so happy! All the best xx
Johnson stayed in October '17
We were all accommodated very nicely and enjoyed our stay in your lovely cottage. We were 8 adults and 3 children who all had plenty to do whilst staying here. Thank you!
Anonymous stayed in September '17
Thank you so much for a WONDERFUL family weekend. It was a great, cosy time and the supply of teabags was very helpful when we needed caffeine after a long day and early morning. Would love to come again.
Keery stayed in September '17
We had such a lovely time in swallow barn, thank you!
Dixon stayed in September '17
We can't thank you enough. Had a lovely weekend! Swallow Barn was brilliantly equipped. Fantastic service from all.
Cunningham stayed in September '17
Absolutely amazing stay for 10 friends. Beautiful scenery.
Cunningham stayed in September '17
What a fabulous stay we had – I will write separately on this. A wonderful place….and great service from yourselves. I am already looking at some future bookings with yourselves for next year (again I will be in touch separately)! Thanks for all your help – you should be proud to work for such a great company!
Anonymous stayed in September '17
The perfect place for an extended family holiday. Fantastic accommodation. We will be recommending you!!
Anonymous stayed in August '17
Thank you so much for letting us stay, we had a great time and the house is beautiful. Highly recommend you.
Keery & Payne stayed in August '17
A great house, village and countryside. We all had an amazing day at Chatsworth with many happy memories! Thanks.
Patrick stayed in August '17
Thank you for letting us stay in Swallow Barn. We loved playing table football and exploring the house!
Allen stayed in August '17
We have had a fantastic weekend in the Barn. Accommodation was comfortable and very luxurious. We would thoroughly recommend to everyone.
Lam stayed in August '17
Our group had an amazing time at Swallow Barn - it is so beautifully decorated and feels so cozy. Definitely will come back again
Stevenson stayed in August '17
A fabulous weekend celebrating Dad's 80th - beautiful barn!
Fielding stayed in August '17
A fantastic cottage for our son's first birthday. The whole family loved everything about Swallow Barn. The cottage had everything we needed and two of the youngest visitors couldn't believe there was two staircases! Thanks for making our stay comfortable and enjoyable.
Leckenby stayed in June '17
Thank you for a fantastic stay in your beautiful house. Decorated fantastically and loved all the homely touches. It was so easy to get out to the lovely walks.
Hart stayed in June '17
Thanks for having us at Swallow barn. We had a lovely weekend and we all thought the house and garden were great.
Braschler stayed in June '17
We had an absolutely fantastic time at Swallow Barn. It was a great house and all of our group absolutely loved it. Suzanne was also very nice and very accommodating when we had problems with the internet. Thanks so much for everything!
Patagnonian Trekking reunion stayed in June '17
What a great place with such easy access to wonderful walks. A friendly pub with good beer! We all agreed we really did not miss camping!
Wolverson stayed in June '17
We had a very enjoyable friends reunion last weekend staying at Swallow Barn. The location was within easy access to wonderful walks,the local pub and the weather was amazing too! The property was spotless and very comfortable. The garden was safe for our dog and we enjoyed a BBQ. Thank you very much for a memorable weekend. I am sure we will return again.
de Siqueira stayed in May '17
We thought the barn was excellent. Very tastefully decorated throughout, with a lovely garden. It was extremely well equipped. The provision of things like cling-film, dishwasher tablets and tea/coffee/sugar was a small touch that made a big difference. The location was great too. Communication was very good. We would definitely return.
Sanderson stayed in May '17
60th birthday bash was a blast! We loved the house, the area and the local - all fabulous. Thanks so much.
Schuricht stayed in April '17
Many thanks, we had a great weekend.
Vint stayed in April '17
We had a great time at Swallow Barn.
Kershaw stayed in April '17
We've had a very enjoyable stay here. The house is perfect for families, with the snug to keep the kids quiet! Plus lots of space for everyone to relax. Thank you! Fantastic location and wonderful house
Denni, family and friends stayed in April '17
Had a lovely weekend celebrating. Cottage stunning, fire incredible, everything great. Would highly recommend to friends and family
* stayed in April '17
Absolutely gorgeous place and so much so that we only ventured out to The Bulls Head!! Would definitely recommend this place to family and friends Thank you!
Hickey stayed in April '17
Many thanks for a fabulous stay - we loved every minute.
Robinson stayed in March '17
Thanks very much for this and for a lovely stay. We had such a nice time in a great space that the house offers
Saven stayed in March '17
We had a great stay at Swallow Barn & will look forward to visiting again in the future
Evans stayed in March '17
A beautiful barn, perfect for a family weekend away. Everyone was incredibly comfortable, and although there were 10 adults and 2 children and 2 toddlers it still felt quite roomy
Brady stayed in March '17
We had the most fantastic time and were most comfortable in the barn.
Lands/Doweys stayed in February '17
We all had a fab time at Swallow Barn celebrating my 50th birthday. We will be back!!!
Walker stayed in February '17
So sad to leave Swallow Barn this morning. We have had such a memorable and amazing weekend. Swallow Barn was such a great place to stay, spacious, comfy and homely. We will always remember this holiday. Highly recommendable to all!
Walker stayed in February '17
We have had a fantastic stay at Swallow Barn, once again peak venues has not disappointed! We certainly did not want to leave. We could have not asked for anymore. We also had another brilliant meal at the royal oak last night. I will definitely book through peak venues again.
Barnes stayed in February '17
We had a lovely weekend at Swallow Barn- thank you.
Barnes stayed in February '17
We came to stay to celebrate Shelleys 40th. We have all enjoyed a fab weekend including children. We have had lovely food at local pubs, visited Bakewell and Abrahams Heights as well as short walks and runs. Best of all was the fun we all had together in your lovely house which is welcoming and had everything we needed provided - except wine, beer, champagne but we were able to bring our own! Cheers and thank you from us all
Anne & Mark stayed in January '17
Swallow Barn is a great place to stay withy our fabulous family. Your house/barn is lovely and you have thought of everything Thanks we had a great time
Price,Cleary,Macdonals and Penhale-Jones stayed in January '17
What an amazing place Swallow Barn is, we love it. I came with my amazing family for my 50th birthday. Enjoyed walks, a visit to Bakewell, and a couple of walks to the village pub. The barn is perfect for family celebrations of all ages. Thank you Suzanne
Kingdom stayed in December '16
We had a fantastic time at swallows barn and everyone commented on how much they liked the place. I'm sure we will use it again in the future
Lee stayed in December '16
We had a great Christmas in Swallow Barn! Loved the cosy fire, local pub & Christmas decorations. A great place to stay & check out the local, beautiful area.
Stewart stayed in November '16
We had a fantastic time at Swallow Barn
Woodwards stayed in November '16
Wow, what a beautiful property! We've all had the most wonderful weekend celebrating my birthday. Plenty of room but still feeling cosy with the fabulous fire. We all contemplated not leaving!! hehe Thank you for the warm welcome I have no double that we will be back
Lee stayed in October '16
We have had a fantastic week here - in such a beautiful barn. Would highly recommend a visit to Sudbury Museum of childhood, a very hands on experience for the children and beautiful grounds too. We also had a great meal at the pub in the village
Varco stayed in October '16
We just wanted to say how much we enjoyed staying at your beautiful house in Monyash. It was such a lovely stylish cottage, very comfortable and with all we needed for a weekend relaxing together with friends and perfectly positioned for going out for walks. We had a great meal at the pub on the second evening, and did a walk from Bakewell and had a look round there on the Sunday. It worked out really well for the size of group we were.
Sharp stayed in October '16
We enjoyed the property and its location very much. I hope we will return next year.
Bacon stayed in September '16
We have just enjoyed a weekend at Swallow Barn, and wanted to thank you for a lovely stay. We were a large group of 3 families, including 7 children, and had plenty of space to enjoy with and away from the kids! (thanks to the snug and table football!) The bedrooms were great, and the beds and linen luxurious. We spent time in the enormous kitchen, and around the piano, as well as out and about in the local area. The house is ideally located for for the Monsal trail and visiting Bakewell which we enjoyed and of course there is a great pub 2 mins away. Also, If anyone wants to have a lovely meal at home, and does not want to cook, use Scoffonline. They were fantastic; cottage pie for the children, brownies, and delicious beef daube and cheesecake for us... We chose well, and need to book quickly if we want to visit again! Thank you.
Mackenzie stayed in September '16
Thank you for such a lovely stay. Perfect for our reunion, lots of space and beautifully appointed and comfortable. Will be recommending it.
Kempster stayed in August '16
Thank you for your email and we have had an amazing time and made some memories that will last a lifetime not just for us but also our children . The home and setting was perfect for what we wanted and we all thoroughly enjoyed it . I would also like to say a huge Thank You to Suzanne who made us feel so welcome and made us feel like friends rather than just guests . Can't wait to come back and thank you for letting us stay at swallow barn.
Jurkiewicz stayed in August '16
Thanks again for letting us stay in your beautiful house. We had a fantastic time and wouldn't hesitate to stay again or recommend to others.
Chafferjees & Choudarys stayed in August '16
This is an amazing place! There is lots of room and the facilities are brilliant. Thank you so much, the area is great and it's so beautiful. Thanks!
Creber stayed in August '16
We had an absolutely wonderful time at Swallow Barn. The venue was a perfect antidote after a night out in Manchester, in a beautiful setting. We enjoyed exploring the countryside around us and taking a walk to the Royal Oak, before retreating to the comfortable and well-appointed cottage for a relaxing evening. The kitchen and lounge are extremely comfortable, and perfect for a large group to spend time reconnecting and enjoying food prepared in the huge kitchen. The outside space is not enormous, and we were disappointed that we couldn't linger in the garden in the evening, but we appreciate the need to maintain good relations with the neighbours. We found the furnishings (sofas, beds, etc.) very comfortable, and the kitchen well equipped with a big oven and fridge (although we'd have liked some better knives and Pans when we were preparing a large meal). The table in the kitchen is huge, but seemed a little less solid and well-finished than the oak we found everywhere else. We left with some great memories and I would be keen to recommend Peak Venues to anyone who was looking to host a large number in beautiful surroundings.
Howard stayed in August '16
A fantastic stay, a beautiful house and the weather and countryside was great; the perfect place for our celebration.
Creber stayed in August '16
Thanks so much for the use of Swallow Barns! It was really wonderful,
Jurkiewicz stayed in July '16
Wow, what a beautiful house, so big we didn't get to make use of it all. Great Kitchen/diner that we used all of the time. Lovely gardens - safe for the children. Great pub up the road with good beer and a great playground. We had a lovely weekend and will definitely be back. Thank you so much
Watson stayed in July '16
We've had a lovely family weekend celebrating Dad's 60th birthday. The house is gorgeous! We've been really lucky with the weather - having nearly every meal in the garden. Would definitely recommend
Dixon stayed in July '16
We had a lovely time, we really enjoyed the cottage a lot!
Chong stayed in July '16
Thank you for letting us stay in your beautiful home. It was the perfect place to stay for our family holiday. Loved using the fireplace and the BBQ. Suzanne was a very helpful host and we would recommend anyone to stay here.
Sign the Guestbook
If you have comments you'd like to leave then please get in touch. We love to hear all feedback - good or bad.
Your Stay At Swallow Barn
Our Favourite Places to Eat Nearby
- The Bull’s Head, Monyash - A traditional pub located in the heart of the village, serving good pub food. Popular with families and walkers and only a 2 minute walk away!
- The Royal Oak, Hurdlow - Our award winning pub offers open fires, hidden corners, local ales and of course ‘great home-made pub food’ as it should be. We can happily cater for groups - booking advised.
- The Manners, Bakewell - Gastro pub with great food and a family friendly beer garden in the heart of Bakewell
- The Bull, Ashford in the Water - Traditional Robinson's small character pub serving great food in a lovely Derbyshire village with the River Wye flowing through the heart of it.Lovely cosy fire in the winter months.
- The Packhorse, Little Longstone - Lovely historic character features in this compact pub – promotes itself with ‘Walkers and Muddy boots welcome.’ It is worth booking a table for a group as it is popular with the locals.
- The White Lion, Great Longstone - Recently refurbished gastro pub situated in the pretty village of Great Longstone.
- The Packhorse, Crowdecote - Located at the bottom of the bank just outside Longnor, the owners Mick and Sharon provide a warm welcome. There are well kept ales which change regularly and traditional home-made pub food. It’s a lovely place to visit for the scenery – careful of the hair pin bends on the way!
- Devonshire Arms, Hartington - Centrally located in the heart of the village – good stop for lunch.
- Pointing Dog & Duck,Bakewell - Great location by the river in Bakewell for an upmarket family friendly Italian Restaurant – Home-made pizzas and pasta are both excellent. Serves both lunch and dinner.
- PieDaniels,Bakewell - A fine French restaurant and cafe bar in the heart of Bakewell offering a selection of fine French & English cuisine.
- Rajas Indian Restaurant - A great Indian restaurant located in the Bridge House just on the edge of the famous Bakewell Bridge. They also do take-aways.
- Juniper, Bakewell - Gin bar with a great pizza menu in the centre of Bakewell. They also do take-away pizza.
- Simply Thai, Buxton - Great local Thai restaurants located in the centre of town – booking is definitely recommended.
- Taj Mahal, Buxton - Excellent curry house in Buxton
- Pizza Express, Buxton -Well known pizza chain in a great location for town and the Opera House – kid friendly.
- St. Moritz Restaurant, Buxton - Swiss and Italian cuisine, great pasta dishes and also has a excellent pre- theatre menu.
- Indian Palace, Buxton - Great Indian restaurant in the centre of Buxton
- Lone Star, Buxton - Mexican/American cuisine, known for their large portions.
- The Old Smithy Café, Monyash - Rustic! Famous for its breakfast featured in the Top 50 Breakfast Book in the country. Character décor, open year round – walkers and bikers welcome. Also serves lunch daily with dinner on certain days.
- No 6 The Square, Buxton - Relax and enjoy morning coffee, light meals or a traditional English afternoon tea in the elegant surroundings of No. 6 The Square.
- The Café, Green Pavilion, Buxton - Good breakfasts with a variety of vegetarian options, also fantastic lunch menu with a good selection of salads/quiches/sandwiches. Excellent coffee and great staff.
- Lavender Tea Rooms, Bakewell - A lovely quaint tea room, hidden in the corner of Hebden court, the charming décor includes vintage memorabilia and there’s outside seating in the sheltered courtyard. A great place for afternoon tea.
- The Bean and Bag, Bakewell - Family run café in the heart of Bakewell offering locally sourced freshly prepared meals, cakes and scones.
- The Upstairs Café, Bakewell - A nice child –friendly café located in the centre of Bakewell.
- Hassop Station Café & Bookshop -A new family friendly cafe with outdoor covered seating and play, with a focus on food, family & fresh air. Enjoy brunch, lunch or afternoon tea on the terrace on the renown Monsal Trail or in the newly refurbished station building.
Fresh Delivered Meals and Take-Aways
- Sauced Here- fantastic selection of home made prepared meals from local chef/cooks - great for large groups. They also provide a full basket of groceries from local producers that can replace a supermarket delivery.
- Scoff - Delicious, home-cooked food, delivered to you in the Peak District
- Bakewell Fish and Chip Shop
- Rajas Indian Restaurant
- Bamboo Cottage (Chinese)
- Juniper (Take-away pizza)
- Pointing Dog & Duck, (Take-away pizza)
- Maazi -Sumptuous Indian meal or buffet delivered to your door. Numerous catering options and can also provide waiting on staff and even take away the washing up.
- Simply Thai
- Pizza Express
- Taj Mahal
- Khomkhai Thai Cuisine
Our Top 5 Places to Visit Nearby
1. Spend a day exploring the historic market town of Bakewell
Bakewell is the largest town within the Peak District National Park and is a hub of activity. Market day is on a Monday and as well as a large range of stalls there is also an agricultural market which is definitely worth a look around as it offers a great insight todays farming community. The town also hosts a craft and gift fair every weekend in Brigade town hall. The Bakewell Old House Museum occupies one of the oldest buildings in Bakewell and dates back to 1543, it provides a fascinating glimpse into the towns past and is very interesting and informative with lots to appeal to all ages. Obviously no trip to Bakewell would be complete without sampling an original Bakewell pudding. The Old Original Bakewell Pudding Shop claims to have the old the original recipe and still makes the puddings by hand from the secret recipe.
Click here for a link to further information on Bakewell.
2. The Tissington and High Peak Trails
With the Tissington and High Peak Trails close by you can walk for miles along these old railway lines. Both trails meet at Parsley Hay, the
TissingtonTrail runs along a 13 mile route from Ashbourne to Parsley Hay, while the High Peak Trail is 17.5 miles long route from the High
Peak junction near Cromford to Dowlow. Surrounded by beautiful countryside the traffic-free trail is ideal for horse riders, cyclists and walkers of all abilities. It is also suitable for wheel chairs and pushchairs along the flat sections and the trail is mainly mud free which is quite rare in the Peak District. The nearest access and also bike hire is at Parsley Hay which is 2 miles away and is at the junction of the High Peak and Tissington Trails.
Click here for more information on Parsley Hay cycle hire.
3. Lathkill Dale
Just down the road from the property is the starting point of one of Derbyshire best known walks through the beautiful Lathkill Dale. Lathkill Dale is a fine example of a limestonedale, the river Lathkill rises just below Monyash and flows down to meet the Wye just below Haddon Hall. The valley is full of interesting flora and fauna, the upper part of the valley is a National Nature Reserve and is managed by Natural England with several Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI’s.) The lower part of the valley is equally stunning as the river widens and is a perfect spot for picnics and maybe a wild swim in the summer.
Click here for further information on Lathkill Dale
4. The Spa town of Buxton
The spa town of Buxton can really offer something for everyone; enjoy a stroll around the pretty Pavilion gardens. The kids can enjoy the playground areas or you might choose to go for a swim at the recent refurbished swimming pool. The more adventurous may want to try out ‘Go Ape’ the treetop adventure course, for those without a head for heights a visit to Poole’s Cavern is fascinating, and it’s a great activity especially for kids when the weather does not cooperate for outdoor activities. For theatre lovers, seeing a show in the intimate Buxton Opera House is a must, and for the shopaholics the pretty Cavendish Arcade has a range of lovely little boutique shops. Lovers of real ale will enjoy visiting Buxton Tap House, which is Buxton’s own brewery pub serving its very own ales and bitters.
Click here for further information on Buxton
5. Chatsworth House and Park
No visit to the Peak District would be complete without visiting the fabulous Chatsworth Estate. There really is something to do for every member of the family - The Farmyard and Adventure playground, the magnificent house and the gardens which are equally as impressive as the house , with the maze, the garden trails, and the famous water cascade to keep the little ones occupied.
Click here for a link to Chatsworth House and Park.
What To Expect At Swallow Barn
A basic weekend supply of the following essentials are supplied (as there are no staff on site if you run out you will have to replace):
- Hand soap
- Shower Gel
- Loo rolls (1 x on the holder and 1 spare per bathroom)
- Washing up liquid
- Cling film &, kitchen foil
- Bin bags
- 5 x dishwasher tablets
- 6 x tea towels
- 4 x dish cloths
- Basic cleaning materials
- Store cupboard essentials – a basic supply of tea, coffee, sugar and salt and pepper.
- Utilities - Electric, gas, heating and hot water
- 1 x travel cot (if requested)
- 1 x high chair (if requested)
- Fresh linen with beds made up upon arrival
- Fresh towels - Bath towel for each guest and hand towels in the bathroom
- 1 x multi fuel open fire in the main lounge – 1 x complimentary basket of logs & coal supplied upon arrival (due to health and safety we cannot supply fire lighters or matches so please bring your own). There is a log store on site and an honesty box should you wish to purchase more.
- 1 x TV with Freesat and DVD player in the Main Lounge
- 1 x TV with Freesat and DVD player in the Snug
- 2x Ipod docking station
- 1 x Hair Dryer (if requested)
- Combination Washing Machine & Tumble Dryer
- Iron, ironing board & drying rack
- Table Football in second lounge
Cooking and Dining
Any kitchen items that are absolutely vital for your stay, please check with us before your visit to ensure that it is at the property (as things do sometimes get broken).
- Integrated Microwave/Grill
- Kitchen Scales
- Rangemaster Double oven with 5 gas hobs, warming zone and grill
- American style fridge freezer with ice and water dispenser
- Pots, pans, roasting tins, crockery, glassware and cutlery
- Double toaster
- 3 x Cafetieres
- 2 x Kettle
- Dining table in the open plan kitchen seating 12 and 3 breakfast bar stools
- Garden patio with outdoor furniture (picnic bench for 12)
- Enclosed garden so safe for children and dogs
- Lockable bike shed for approx. 4 bikes
- 2 kettle drum BBQ’s – please bring you own charcoal
- Herb garden, which guests are welcome to pick the herbs.
You Should Know
- Please note that we are dog friendly at this property however there are livestock in the surrounding fields so dogs must be kept under control at all times. For your information, a maximum of two dogs are allowed on site if pre-arranged - they are welcome in the kitchen and entrance hall/boot room, you will be expected to keep them out of the bedrooms and off the soft furnishings. We do charge £20 per dog for the duration of your stay. Please see our dog policy for further details.
- For the comfort of all guests, outdoor shoes are not generally worn on the carpeted area of the house so don’t forget your slippers!
- Noise policy in place - not suitable for stag/hen groups due to residential/village location
- No fire works
- Wifi – we provide free wifi however as the Peak District is in a beautiful rural location sometimes there can be intermittent wifi signal that is beyond our control, we also hope you appreciate that we cannot guarantee wifi if there are technical issues out of our control.
- The postcode is DE45 1JH– Important please check directions page for more details as postcode does not take you direct to the property
- The nearest town is Bakewell & Buxton – both approx 10 minutes drive away
- On street parking only
Booking and Payment Process
- We ask for a 25% deposit to confirm a booking
- The balance is due 12 weeks prior to arrival
- Full payment is due upon booking if it is booked with 12 weeks prior to arrival
- A cautionary damage deposit of £400 is held and returned after your stay
- Click here for a full description of how to make a booking
Arrival and Departure
- Check in 3pm or after
- Check out is by 10am prompt
Shopping Delivery Information
For ease, lots of our guests pre-ordered a shopping delivery. You are very welcome to organise this however, please do make sure you have arrange the delivery time slot to arrive after you have checked in, as we are unable to accept it on your behalf (as the property is let as exclusive use there is are no Peak Venus staff on site).
Local Shopping Delivery From Local Producers - Sauced Here
Keep it local! Our guests often ask for recommendations for local farm shops and butchers for the all-important celebration meals and this is a brilliant and very easy service. Sauced Here has similar functionality to an on line supermarket but is only stocked by local suppliers in the Peak District - order your wine, meat, vegetables, dairy and so much more with a choice of over a thousand products and at reasonable prices. It's a great service which delivers straight to your holiday cottage or you can click and collect at a local
pick up point.
Click here to book a delivery slot.