The DerwentSleeps 40
Fantastic large group property right in the heart of the UK! Former pub/hotel superbly converted to provide unique and extremely spacious exclusive self catering accommodation for large groups between 30 and 40. Superb location for the Peak District sights of Lady Bower Reservoir, Derwent Valley, Edale and Castleton.
Enjoy Exclusive Use of A Large Self Catering Country House In A Converted Hotel In The Village of Bamford
- Perfectly placed right in the heart of the Peak District village of Bamford, with amazing access to Ladybower and Derwent Reservoir in the Upper Derwent Valley.
- The cleverly converted former hotel/pub provides a fabulous self catering venue for up to 40 guests all under one roof.
- The Derwent Country House is perfect for friends and families who are seeking a totally different unique concept for a special celebration with having exclusive use of your own hotel with a private pub on tap.
- You can venture out to enjoy country walks through the spectacular Peak District National Park in every direction
- Edale, Castleton and Hathersage are all nearby and just a few minutes drive away.
- Golf, mountain biking, fishing and hiking are just a few of the outdoor activities on your doorstep.
Bedrooms & Bathrooms
There are a total of sixteen boutique style bedrooms each being individually decorated and designed and furnished with comfy beds, fresh linen and towels. We try to be really flexible with the room set up to suit all kinds of group as most rooms can offer options of double, twins and some bunk beds with plenty of en suites and shared bathrooms.
The main stair well leads up from the central ground floor space to a wide first floor landing and here you will find a choice of nine bedrooms with four with en suites, two shared shower rooms and one shared bathroom/wc. A further stair well rises to the second floor with six bedrooms with four en suites and one shared bathroom. A sixteenth bedroom is situated with external access through the garden entrance with en suite.
Please click here for the bedroom layout.
Cooking and Dining
The extremely spacious dining room creates a wonderfully space for group dining. We offer flexible table layouts so that you can dine and seat up to 40 guests in various combinations.
To ensure catering for a large group is a pleasure, we have thoughtfully designed the kitchen layout to provide two adjoining rooms one for preparation and cooking and the other for serving and clearing. The fully equipped kitchen has a double range cooker, an abundance of cookware, pots and pans, microwave and crockery/utensils/glassware. The second utility kitchen has further storage cupboards with plenty of work surfaces, dishwashers and sink areas.
Whether you wish to cook for yourselves or use one of our many highly recommended outside catering contacts everything you or they will need to put on a meal to remember is provided.
Please click here for finer details of what to expect at the property.
The Derwent Country House is a deceptively spacious property with interconnecting reception rooms that flow throughout the ground floor creating an amazing entertainment space for large groups.
The bar area is located in the central space and naturally evolves into the main social hub of the venue. Complete with bar stools, drinks fridges and glassware, you can stock the bar as you wish and serve drinks over the original bar which we have managed to retain many original features (please not the pumps are note in use).
There are two good sized lounge areas and to ensure your stay at The Derwent Country House is even more relaxing, we have added a luxury games room with pool table, table football and dart board.
Please click here for the floor plans.
Garden and Outdoor Space
Outside to the rear of the property there is a lovely patio area with picnic benches and a BBQ, (please bring your own charcoal), a lovely spot for some al fresco dining.
Adjacent to this is a pleasant lawned garden with a child's play area, perfect for children to run off some steam! There is plenty of off road parking as the former hotel and pub has it very own car park with parking for up to 20 plus cars.
The Peak District and Surrounding Area
Located in the centre of a former mill-village of Bamford, the venue occupies an enviable position in the heart of The Peak District National Park. There are so many interesting places to explore nearby - its well worth taking a hike up Bamford Edge which overlooks the village and offers a fine view of Ladybower reservoir.
Ladybower & Howden Reservoir in the Upper Derwent Valley is right on your doorstep and absolutely stunning whether you are walking, fishing, wild swimming or cycle around it. The reservoirs are steeped in history, during the Second World War the reservoir was famously used for practising the low-level flights commonly known as the "Dam Busters" raids.
Sickleholme Golf Club is a friendly club within walking distance to The Derwent and welcomes visiting groups. A short drive away, popular areas of the Peak District are very accessible Bakewell, Castleton, Hope Valley, Edale, Hathersage and Chatsworth.
Click here for our recommendations to help you plan your stay.
How To Find Us
The address of The Derwent Country House is:
Main Road, Bamford, S33 0AY
Approx GPS coordinates of the property are:53.347621, -1.689537
Directions to The Derwent by car from Castleton (approx. 10 mins):
- Follow signs for the A6187 towards Hope Valley (Castleton Road)
- Once on A6187 follow road for 4 miles (turns into Hope Road then Hathersage Road)
- You will come to a set of traffic lights with a petrol station on your left
- Take a left at the lights onto A6103
- Follow the road for 0.8 miles into the main village
- The Derwent Country House will be on your right hand side- on your left there will be a dental practice and a bus stop opposite
- You have arrived at The Derwent Country House!
Directions to The Derwent by car from Hathersage (approx. 5 minutes):
Follow signs for A6187 towards Castleton (Castleton Road)
Once on A6187 follow for 1.5 miles
At the traffic lights there will be a petrol station ahead of you on the right hand side
Take the right hand turn at the lights just before the petrol station onto A6103 to Bamford
Follow the road for 0.8 miles into the main village
The Derwent Country House will be on your right hand side- on your left there will be a dental practice and a bus stop opposite
You have arrived at The Derwent Country House!
Directions to The Derwent by car from Sheffield (approx. 30 minutes):
From Sheffield follow signs for A57 towards Glossop
Follow A57 for approx. 12-12.5 miles
There will be Lady Bower reservoir (sometimes called Derwent reservoir) on your right hand side
You will come to a set of traffic lights- take a right turn here signposted A6103 to Bamford
Follow the road down for approximately 2 miles
The Derwent Country House will be on your left hand side- on your right there will be a dental practice and a bus stop opposite
You have arrived at The Derwent Country House!
The following comments are taken straight from the guestbook we keep for The Derwent. Verbatim.
Kinnear stayed in February '18
We had a lovely stay, thank you. The venue was perfect for what we wanted, and the caterer (David Wakefield, The Dinner Party Company ) was excellent on the Saturday night. I know many of my friends were impressed with the venue and also the Peak District. One family said they will save themselves the drive to Wales or Cornwall now they know now how fantastic the area is.
Parkes stayed in January '18
Myself and the whole of the party had a fantastic weekend in your beautiful property. Many thanks.
Campbell stayed in December '17
We had a lovely time and you gave a wonderful service, much appreciated.
Osborn stayed in November '17
First of all I'd just like to thank you on behalf of my family for a wonderful weekend at the Derwent. The facilities are superb and we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We look forward to using your company for future family get togethers.
Cook stayed in September '17
We had a lovely weekend. The house is very well equipped and spotlessly clean.
Howard stayed in August '17
We had an absolutely fantastic weekend at The Derwent, it was a perfect venue for us all. We loved the layout of the bar and reception rooms, it worked really well for us. We've had so much fun, thanks so much to you all at Peak Venues for another amazing venue for our family reunion.
Smart stayed in August '17
We had a brilliant weekend
Metherell stayed in June '17
We did enjoy our stay very much, and appreciate your assistance and flexibility in the build-up to our stay
Drawbridge stayed in June '17
Thank you for your help in booking the Derwent and all the useful information up front. We had a great time and everyone commented on what a brilliant venue it was.
Slinn stayed in May '17
Thank you very much - we had a fab time!
Richmond stayed in March '17
Thank you, we had a lovely weekend at Derwent House.
Bale stayed in February '17
Fully enjoyed the weekend and I already have your website open to investigate another trip possibly to one of your smaller properties next year.
Nulty stayed in January '17
The house was amazing and we all had a lovely time. Thank you again for all of your help
Leonard stayed in January '17
Thank you we've had a fabulous weekend. The derwent was a fantastic venue for my husbands 40th.
Smith stayed in December '16
The property was very nice, thanks
Ibgui stayed in November '16
We had a very special family celebration in your lovely venue.
Black stayed in October '16
We had a marvellous weekend
Gillander stayed in September '16
We had an amazing weekend and the venue was fantastic, it certainly met all our needs so thank you.
Hayward stayed in September '16
Our stay at The Derwent was great and everybody thoroughly enjoyed the venue, the village and the surrounding area.
Cornford 206 stayed in July '16
Many thanks, we had a fantastic time at the Derwent, it was perfect!
Aldred stayed in July '16
We had a great weekend and everyone loved The Derwent. We were a mixed group with couples singles and families and there was something for everyone and very luxurious compared to other large self catering venues we have used.
Munro stayed in June '16
We had a wonderful time and the venue was absolutely perfect!
Knight stayed in June '16
I had a great time at The Derwent – thanks a lot.
Harvey stayed in June '16
Just wanted to say thanks for the stay. All went really well. The whole party ranging from ages 1-44 loved it. The house is great, plenty of space, clean and plenty to keep us occupied. And the weather smiled on us too! Howard was also very helpful.
Blythe stayed in May '16
We had a brilliant time, The Derwent was fabulous and you have been very helpful!
Dean stayed in April '16
We had a wonderful weekend and the Derwent was the perfect location for my sisters hen do. Everyone was extremely impressed with the accommodation and facilities.
Sanders stayed in March '16
The Derwent is a fantastic venue for a family get together
Wolf stayed in March '16
We all had a fantastic time and the Derwent was perfect in every way
Pacitto stayed in March '16
We had a lovely stay thank you.
Johnstone stayed in February '16
Many thanks for your email - we had a wonderful time at The Derwent. What a fabulous house and the owners have done a beautiful job converting it. It was extremely well catered, all the bedding seemed brand new, the kitchen was missing nothing. So please do pass on our thanks and we would be extremely keen to book again next year.
Williams stayed in January '16
A quick email to say thanks for a wonderful weekend at The Derwent. Everyone had a great time!
Johnson stayed in January '16
We had a thoroughly good time and The Derwent and it was a fantastic venue for us to party and socialise.
Baker stayed in December '15
We had a brilliant weekend at The Derwent it was extremely nice Hope to see you again in 2016
Hewitt stayed in October '15
Thank you we had a great weekend The Derwent was great and hopefully we will be back again!
Fuse Studios stayed in October '15
We all had an amazing time, it was a fabulous venue
Lewis stayed in August '15
Thanks for your email. We all had a wonderful weekend, what a fantastic house! It was perfect for my 3 generations of family and friends, and everyone was very complimentary about the high quality of everything in the house. Anyway hope to visit again at some point in the future. A memorable weekend for all!
Gabrielli stayed in July '15
it was a fantastic weekend and The Derwent was the perfect venue and it exceeded our expectations. Thank you for all of your help regarding the booking and planning for our stay, your quick response to questions and ease of booking made everything so much easier which in the past has often been a more stressful experience!
Taylor stayed in June '15
Thank you for the message - we had a great time and would like to thank everyone for their work. You're right about exceeding my expectations, which were already high. Please pass on my thanks for Chris - everything we ask for was provided with no fuss or drama.
Pirie stayed in May '15
We all had an excellent time, the venue is amazing and enabled my friend to have the best hen do possible
HML Architects stayed in May '15
Hi everyone Just a quick note to thank you all so much for your input into the “Bootcamp” the other week which was a great success. Guests were pleasantly surprised at the high quality of the venue which was comfortable and of a very high standard - we couldn’t have asked for a better setting for our event. Rachel thank you for your patience liaising with Alison on this reservations and ensuring that the venue we booked was suitable for the purpose of our conference. Chris thank you for taking the time to personally show me around the property and answer my questions amidst the chaos of arrivals and deliveries which all seemed to coincide at the same time! Amanda and Dionne (Scoff) thank you for delivering directly to The Derwent and working around the general mayhem late on Monday afternoon - the evening meal was delicious and gratefully received by many who had travelled a long way to get to Bamford. The lunch on both Tuesday and Wednesday was delicious and delivered on time which was great as the delegates were all working to a tight timeline and any delays would have had a huge impact on the day’s agenda. We wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this high quality venue to anyone looking for somewhere that caters for large groups yet set in a scenic location with excellent transport links from Bamford Station and should you require references happy to oblige.
Dunkerley stayed in March '15
We had a great weekend at the Derwent - - it certainly met our expectations - really good venue
Watt stayed in December '14
We had a fantastic time and will definitely recommend peak venues. Everyone thought it was an amazing venue.
Grimshaw stayed in November '14
Hi Peak Venues team, We had a brilliant weekend at the Derwent. All of the family loved it! Thanks for all of your assistance.
Woodbine stayed in October '14
I had the best weekend. Everything was just perfect. I know people that are already looking to book The Derwent again. Fantastic spacious venue finished to an extremely high standard. Couldn't have asked for more. Thank you for all your help throughout the whole process.
Poole stayed in October '14
We just wanted to thank you! We had the best weekend at the Derwent. It is such an amazing place and everyone was so impressed with it. We will send some photos of how we set the table etc when we have them. We walked up to the Anglers Rest most days and we were well looked after there. We would recommend the Derwent... we had a ball.
Dixon stayed in July '14
First of all I want to say what an amazing time we had last weekend The Derwent was amazing and exceeded all my expectations. Everyone had a great time and we were all really impressed with the quality of the finish, it was like staying in a 5 star self-catering hotel.
Woodbine stayed in January '14
Where do I start!?????? From start to finish my weekend at the Derwent was exceptional. Arriving on the Friday to be met by the owner who showed me around and explained all the 'technical' things like the alarm... He then left us to it and explained that he was only at the other end of phone and to ring or text him with any issues big or small. This was so reassuring. When my friends and family started to arrive and saw the venue for the first time they were all taken back by how nicely finished the venue was. All of the bedrooms were to such a high standard and perfect for accommodating my guests comfortably. The location was spot on and we spent Saturday exploring the surrounding countryside and had the pleasure of seeing some amazing views over the lady bower reservoir. After a day of walking coming back the Derwent was just ideal as The heating system was so good and kept such a big building nice and cosy. I had a professional chef in to cook on the Saturday night who found the kitchen more than adequate for him and the mammoth task of cooking a 3 course menu for 30 people. My mum on the other hand trying to cook breakfast for everyone was a little stretch (bless her) everyone did chip in and eventually it worked perfectly, we all had such a laugh from coordinating breakfast to working the bar. I would definitely suggest a 'staff rota' it's so much fun and everyone gets to have a go behind the bar. I can't put down in words how fantastic this venue is and how much fun was had over the weekend. Would recommend every time and will definitely be back. Thanks you to everyone and Peak Venues and Chris Goddard.
Sign the Guestbook
If you have comments you'd like to leave then please get in touch. We love to hear all feedback - good or bad.
Your Stay At The Derwent
Our Favourite Places to Eat Nearby
- The Angler’s Rest, Bamford - Bamford’s community owned pub, post office and café. Friday Night is Fish and Chip Night - available to eat in or takeaway from 5.30pm - 9.00pm.
- The Yorkshire Bridge Inn, Bamford - Traditional pub serving food about a 20 minute walk from Bamford.
- The Rising Sun Hotel, Hope Valley - Family ran inn serving home cooked fresh food, which is sourced locally where possible.
- The Scotsman’s Pack Inn, Hathersage - Home cooked pub food using locally sourced produce.
- The Chequers Inn, Froggatt Edge - Award winning inn serving fresh locally sourced food.
- The Plough Inn, Hathersage -Traditional pub serving great food.
- The Barrel Inn, Bretton- Quaint 16th century inn with the most amazing views - on a clear day it is possible to see five counties.
- The Bulls Head Inn, Foolow - Family run pub serving hearty traditional pub food.
- The Moon Inn, Stoney Middleton - A lovely traditional pub with a great beer garden.
- The Bridge Inn, Calver - A pub which serves great Spanish tapas.
- Maazi Indian Restaurant, Hathersage -Brilliant Indian restaurant located in the centre of Hathersage, they also do take-aways and outside catering.
- 1530, Castleton - Nice Italian restaurant located in the centre of Castleton.
- Rowley’s, Baslow - A contemporary restaurant serving locally sourced modern European dishes.
- The Merchant’s Yard, Tideswell - a stylish restaurant with a private dining area for large groups. Also a lovely setting for afternoon tea and the cocktails are a must!
- Charlie’s Bistro, Baslow - Lovely little bistro in the centre of Baslow, advisable to book ahead.
- Curry Cottage at Lovers Leap, Stoney Middleton - Restaurant and take-away.
- Hathersage Social Club, Hathersage - A great café that also hosts special food evenings and can also be hired for private parties.
- David Mellor Design Café, Hathersage - Incorporated in the David Mellor museum and shop is this wonderfully designed café offering speciality teas and home-made cakes.
- Colemans Deli, Hathersage - Great place to grab and sandwich and a coffee.
- Grindleford Station Café, Grindleford - Traditional style café with huge portions, popular with walkers.
- Village Green Cafe, Eyam - Lovely little café serving lunch and snacks as well as great homemade cakes.
- Eyam Tea Rooms, Eyam - Quaint tea room and ice cream parlour.
- The Orangery Restaurant at Losehill House Hotel and Spa.
- Cintra’s Tearoom, Hathersage.
- The Cavendish Restaurant at Chatsworth.
Fresh Delivered Meals and Take Aways
- Sauced Here - fantastic selection of home made prepared meals from local chef/cooks - great for large groups. They also provide a full basket of groceries from local producers that can replace a supermarket delivery.
- Scoff - Delicious, home-cooked food, delivered to you in the Peak District.
- Bradwell Fisheries, Bradwell - Traditional fish and chip shop take-away in Bradwell.
- Hope Valley Pizza Co - A take away pizza company in the nearby Hope Valley.
- The Angler’s Rest, Bamford - Bamford’s community owned pub, post office and café. Friday
- Maazi- Sumptuous Indian meal or buffet delivered to your door. Numerous catering options and can also provide waiting on staff and even take away the washing up.
- Curry Cottage at Lovers Leap, Stoney Middleton - Indian take-way in the nearby village of Stoney Middleton
Our Top 5 Places to Visit Nearby
1. Upper Derwent Valley
Whilst staying at The Derwent Country House a visit to the Upper Derwent Valley is a must. There are three reservoirs in the Upper Derwent Valley. The River Derwent flows first through Howden Reservoir, then Derwent Reservoir and finally through Ladybower Reservoir. There is a visitor’s centre at Fairholmes with a café and you can also hire bikes and cycle round the reservoirs, the scenery is absolutely stunning. You may have heard about the ‘Dam Busters’ during the Second World War the reservoir was used by pilots of the 617 Squadron for practising the low-level flights needed for Operation Chastise (commonly known as the "Dam Busters" raids), due to its similarity to the German dams. In the West Tower of the Derwent Dam there is a memorial and museum for the Dambusters 617 squadron.
2. Visit Castleton and its famous caverns
Castleton is one of the most popular destinations for visitors to the Peak District, it has an array of natural and historical features both above and below ground, and is surrounded by superb walking country. High above the village stand the imposing ruins of Peveril Castle. To the west of Castleton lies Mam Tor offering amazing views and fantastic walking on the ridge. Castleton is most well-known for its four caves, each offering a different experience to the visitor, Peak Cavern, Speedwell Cavern, Treak Cliff Cavern and Blue John Mine. The caverns are a great activity for kids and when the weather does not cooperate for outdoor activities.
Click here for a link to Castleton and the Caves.
3. Eyam – The Plague Village
Nearby is the village of Eyam, famously known as the plague village. The village was unique in its response to the outbreak of plague in 1665 as the village placed itself in voluntary quarantine. Eyam museum is great to place to find out more about the plague story and the history of village, there is also Eyam Hall, built in 1676 in a Jacobean style. The house is open to visitors (please check the National Trust website for opening hours) and next door there a small craft centre, which is also worth a visit. There are many great walks around the village and it is lovely just to wander around as many of the buildings also have plaques giving details of their history and the part their inhabitants played in the Plague saga, notably the Plague Cottages where the outbreak began.
4. Walk Bamford Edge and Moor
There are so many stunning places to walk in the local area including Kinder Scout, Man Torr Edale, Hathersage and Castleton to name but a few! There are also some great walks which are on the doorstep of the Derwent Country House, including a lovely 5 mile and a 7 mile circular route around Bamford taking in Bamford Edge and Moor. From the elevated position of Bamford Edge there are simply wonderful views over the surrounding area and down to the Ladybower Reservoir.
5. Chatsworth House and Park
No visit to the Peak District would be complete without visiting the fabulous Chatsworth Estate. There really is something to do for every member of the family - The Farmyard and Adventure playground, the magnificent house and the gardens which are equally as impressive as the house , with the maze, the garden trails, and the famous water cascade to keep the little ones occupied.
Click here for a link to Chatsworth House and Park.
What To Expect At The Derwent
A basic weekend supply of the following essentials are supplied (asthere are no staff on site if you run out you will have to replace):
- Hand soap
- Loo rolls (1 x on the holder and 1 spare per bathroom)
- Washing up liquid
- 5 x dishwasher tablets
- 2 x tea towels
- 1 x dish cloth
- Basic cleaning materials
- Utilities - Electric, gas, heating and hot water
- 3 x travel cot (if requested - please supply your own cot linen)
- 3 x high chairs (if requested)
- Fresh linen with beds made up upon arrival
- Fresh towels - Bath towel per guest & hand towels in the bathrooms
- 2 x TV with Freeview in the 2 x main lounges (HDMI compatible)
- 1 x DVD player
- 2 x Ipod docking station
- Washing Machine
- Iron & ironing board & indoor clothes airer
Cooking and Dining
Any kitchen items that are absolutely vital for your stay, please check with us before your visit to ensure that it is at the property (as things do sometimes get
- The dining table seats up to 30 in a T shape or up to 40 in various configurations separately
- Pots, pans, roasting tins, crockery, glassware and cutlery
- Kitchen scales
- 2 x electric oven
- American style fridge/freezer with ice machine
- 2 x Toasters
- 2 x Kettles
- 3 x Dishwashers
Games Room and Bar
- Note that the beer pump on the photos is for decoration only and not in use
- No cocktail shakers
- 2 x Wine fridges
- Beer and wine glasses
- Pool table
- Dart board
- Table Football
- BBQ – please bring your own coal
- Children's play area
- Large lawned garden
- 4 x Garden picnic benches
You Should Know
- Note that the beer pump on the photos is for decoration only and not in use
- Sorry no dogs are allowed at this venue
- For the comfort of all guests, outdoor shoes are not generally worn on the carpeted area of the house so don’t forget your slippers!
- No fireworks due to village location
- Noise Policy - due to quiet village location, late night noise must be confined to inside the building by 9.30pm. Neighbours are in close proximity.
- Please note The Derwent Country House is ideal for families and mixed groups who are not looking for a party venue.
- Due to the village location we are very considerate to the local residents and only take bookings for hen and stag groups during off peak months.
- Strictly no 30th birthday celebrations are permitted.
- Wifi – we provide free wifi however as the Peak District is in a beautiful rural location sometimes there can be intermittent wifi signal that is beyond our control, we also hope you appreciate that we cannot guarantee wifi if there are technical issues out of our control.
- The postcode is S33 0AY
- The nearest city is Sheffield.
- Bamford has a train station located 0.6 miles from The Derwent
- A short drive away is the larger villages of Hathersage, Hope or Castleton
- The nearest village is Bamford (walking distance) with village shop and pub
- Private parking for 20 + cars
Booking and Payment Process
- We ask for a 25% deposit to confirm a booking
- The balance is due 12 weeks prior to arrival
- Full payment is due upon booking if it is booked with 12 weeks prior to arrival
- A cautionary damage deposit of £500 is held and returned after your stay
- Click here for a full description of how to make a booking
Arrival and Departure
- Check in 3pm or after
- Check out is by 10am prompt
Shopping Delivery Information
For ease, lots of our guests pre-ordered a shopping delivery. You are very welcome to organise this however, please do make sure you have arrange the delivery time slot to arrive after you have checked in, as we are unable to accept it on your behalf (as the property is let as exclusive use there is are no Peak Venus staff on site).
Local Shopping Delivery From Local Producers - Sauced Here
Keep it local! Our guests often ask for recommendations for local farm shops and butchers for the all-important celebration meals and this is a brilliant and very easy service. Sauced Here has similar functionality to an on line supermarket but is only stocked by local suppliers in the Peak District - order your wine, meat, vegetables,
dairy and so much more with a choice of over a thousand products and at reasonable prices. It's a great service which delivers straight to your holiday cottage or you can click and collect at a local pick up point.
Click here to book a delivery slot.
For more information about The Derwent please take a look at their own website.