The Collecting & Tractor ShedsSleeps 16
The Collecting Shed is a beautifully renovated 5 bedroom barn conversion, a far cry from the original use of collecting the cows before miking! The Tractor Shed provides a further 2 bedrooms and also features a superb Games Room. Offering an abundance of space throughout the properties this is an ideal self catering accommodation for larger groups. Sleeps 16
Sympathetically Renovated Barn Conversions with Impressive Far Reaching Views. Idyllic Garden Setting, Superb Games Room & Seven Beautiful Ensuite Bedrooms. Sleeps 16
- 7 individually designed and spacious bedrooms
- 7 en suites with a couple of them featuring luxurious deep baths and wet rooms
- Sleeps up to 16
- Dog friendly - only in The Collecting Shed
- Central secluded paved courtyard
- Well Equipped Games Room
- Wrap around gardens featuring your very own duck pond!
- Fabulous Country Kitchen with all the mod cons and high vaulted ceiling dining area which still has the quirky features of the original feeding troughs, plus Italian Log Burner.
- Far reaching views over the Derbyshire Dales, a perfect base for exploring the nearby surroundings and attractions.
- A short drive to the nearby town of Wirksworth and a walkable distance to the local pub, which is just down the road.
- Parking for 8 cars
Bedrooms and Bathrooms
The Collecting Shed - 5 bedrooms
- Bedroom 1 - Fixed Queen Size Double with en suite shower room
- Bedroom 2 - Double or Twin (space for cot) en suite with shower over bath
- Bedroom 3 - Double or Twin - access from bedroom 2 and also external access, wet room en suite
- Bedroom 4 - Fixed Super King Size Double - (space for cot) separate dressing area and fabulous luxury en suite with deep bath and walk in wet room
- Bedroom 5 - Fixed King Size Double - (space for cot) en suite with separate shower and bath
The Tractor Shed - 2 Bedrooms
- Bedroom 6 - Fixed Queen Size Double (space for cot) en suite with large bath
- Bedroom 7 - Double with single bed and pull out trundle bed, large en suite with open wet room shower area (sleeps 4)
Cooking and Dining
The Collecting Shed houses a fabulous country kitchen, with a large central island and includes all the modern appliances you could ask for such as a Miele built in coffee machine, microwave, steam oven, undercounter vegetable drawers, wine cooler and Sub Zero American Style Fridge Freezer. A great focal point is the large double oven range cooker, which is half gas and half electric with griddle tray and Tapenyaki grill. The kitchen has a single glazed door to the enclosed courtyard and also double glazed doors that open to the front of the property, where there is a flagged area, ideal to enjoy any time of the day and admire the amazing views you have on your doorstep.
There is a separate Dining Room, featuring original stone troughs and a striking Italian Log Burner. The high vaulted ceiling gives a wonderful feeling to this open space and double glazed doors lead to the secluded central courtyard.
The Collecting Shed has two great reception rooms, directly from the kitchen is a relaxation room that also leads to the courtyard a perfect space to reflect and chat with friends. A further stone walled lounge is a warmly dressed room with a cosy log burner and TV to sit back and relax after a day outdoors.
Leading from the kitchen in the Hallway is an added musical bonus to your stay. Where you can play some of your favourite tunes on the original Wurlitzer Jukebox!
The Tractor Shed has a fabulous social space for all the guests to come together in the day or evening, with plenty of soft seating and French Doors that open onto a private garden area and a duck pond as your relaxing view.
The Tractor Shed Games Room
A fabulous well equipped games room is situated downstairs in The Tractor Barn, a great space to lose a few hours and get competitive with your fellow guests. The most amazing entertainment hub full of fabulous games for all ages, an amazing space for all the family, friends, hens and stags to enjoy:
- Pool table
- Air hockey
- Table tennis
- Table football
- Electronic basket ball game
Garden and Outdoor Space
You approach the property via a stunning long driveway, giving you the feel of grandeur even before you unpack.
The Collecting Shed has a central paved courtyard with garden furniture, and mature planted shrubs a perfect spot to set the BBQ up and enjoy the sunshine in the daytime and al fresco dining and drinks in the evening. From the kitchen you have double glazed doors that lead to the front of the property where there is a great patio area, again ideal for a get together and BBQ, plus a spacious flat lawned area- ideal for ball games and the children to let off some steam, with far reaching views looking towards Crich Stand, which is a memorial to the Sherwood Foresters regiment who dies in battle in WW1.
Your view from The Tractor Shed is very relaxing, the beautiful duckpond is surrounded by trees where you can watch the bird and native wildlife from while the further garden is laid to lawn.
Ample parking for 8 vehicles.
The Collecting & Tractor Shed is on a shared site with The Farmhouse & Dairy, but you do have your own private areas.
A perfect little hamlet of your own all set in 22 acres of private unspoilt farmland.
The Surrounding Area
The properties are located 5 minutes away from the Market Town of Wirksworth, which holds its local market every Tuesday, and has fantastic amenities including country pubs, cafes and a handy petrol station. Wirksworth is steeped in lead mining history dating back to Roman times. Sir Richard Arkwright introduced the textile industry in the area when he built Haarlem Mill, set on the River Ecclesbourne, which was the first cotton mill in the world to use a steam engine to supply the water to the mills water wheel.
This property is superb for walking, cycling, running and sight seeing as you are surrounded by endless countryside and popular destinations such as Carsington Water, Cromford Canal, Black Rocks, The Tissington and High Peak Trail and of course Chatsworth House to name but a few.
Perfect for families as you are a short drive away from Gulliver's Kingdom at Matlock Bath, Little Monkey's Play Area at Darwin Forest, near Matlock, Matlock Park Farm and The Play Mill at Cromford. You are also only 35 minutes away from Alton Towers and Peak Wildlife Park.
How To Find Us
The Address for The Collecting & Tractor Shed is:
Oakerthorpe Road, Bolehill, Wirksworth. Derbyshire. DE4 4GW
Approx. GPS Co-ordinates are: 53.092442, -1.553524
Directions from Wirksworth
- From the B5023 and the Market Place, you will see The Red Lion Hotel, turn up Coldwell Street the B5035 and follw this road for 1 mile until you get to The Malt Shovel Inn on your left.
- Turn a sharp left and continue with the Malt Shovel Inn being on your left hand side.
- In 50mtrs the property will be on your right.
- You are looking for a gated driveway with fields and trees on either side.
- You have arrived at The Collecting & Tractor Sheds
Directions from Cromford
- At the traffic lights on the A6, follow the B5036 up Cromford Hill towards Wirksworth for about 1 mile- going past Black Rocks.
- Carry on until you get to a Railway Bridge at the peak of the hill.
- Immediately under the bridge turn left onto Oakerthorpe Road.
- Follow Oakerthorpe Road for about a mile heading towards the B5035 junction with The Malt Shovel Inn on it.
- About 50mtrs before the B5035 junction you will have reached your destination.
- You are looking for a gated driveway with fields and trees on either side.
- You have arrived at The Collecting & Tractor Sheds.
Directions from Belper
- From the A6 turn onto the A517 towards Ashbourne, going past Strutt's Mill.
- Follow the road over the River Derwent
- When to get to Armando's Restaurant at The Talbot, turn right to go up Belper Lane.
- Continue along Belper Lane for about 1 mile.
- When you get to a junction at The Bulls Head, turn right onto Dalley Lane.
- Continue straight onto Gorses and follow the road for about 3 miles going past The Bear Public House on your right.
- After 3 miles, Gorses turns slightly right and becomes Wirksworth Road follow this for another mile until you reach an offset crossroads with The Malt Shovel Inn straight in front of you
- Go straight over the offset crossroads onto the B5035 continue with The Malt Shovel Inn on your left and follow Oakerthorpe Road.
- In 50 mtrs the destination is on your right.
- You are looking for a gated driveway with fields and trees on either side.
- You have arrived at the Collecting & Tractor Sheds.
The following comments are taken straight from the guestbook we keep for The Collecting & Tractor Sheds. Verbatim.
Sign the Guestbook
If you have comments you'd like to leave then please get in touch. We love to hear all feedback - good or bad.
Your Stay At The Collecting & Tractor Sheds
Our Favourite Places to Eat Nearby
- The Malt Shovel - Wirksworth, local pub within walking distance. offering a great Sunday roast and traditional food alongside fine ales, this pub has a large carpark and beer garden. Dog friendly.
- The Black Swan - Idridgehay - less that a 5 minute drive away offering homemade pub food and also a pizza and a la carte menu.
- The Feather Star - Wirksworth - pub with a difference - serving great food from local producers and great ales and ciders. This quirky pub allows you to browse and buy vinyl records that are for sale in the upstairs room.
- The Hope and Anchor - Wirksworth, with vegetarian and gluten free options alongside the traditional pub food, this is ideal for families with children and also dog friendly.
- The Hanging Gate - Shottle, country pub serving hearty, seasonal pub food. Great beer garden.
- Miners Arms - Carsington, country pub, welcoming families, walkers and well behaved dogs. Family run with great pub food and local ales. Large beer garden and children's play area.
- Le Mistral - Wirksworth, Award winning Parisian Style Bistro in the town centre, serving brunch, lunch and dinner, centrally located with parking nearby,
- Mercia - Wirksworth, serving locally sourced produce you can enjoy brunch, lunch, dinner and drinks. A relaxed and friendly environment which is centrally located and parking nearby.
- Gino's - Wirksworth, small, quirky restaurant serving Italian food, where you are able to bring your own bottles of wine or beer
- Maazi Indian Restaurant - Matlock, 4 miles form Wirksworth this popular restaurant offers great authentic cuisine.
- Sour Cow - Wirksworth, Dog friendly cafe, serving breakfasts, brunch and lunches. or just sit and enjoy a slice of cake and a coffee.
- The Coffee Drop - Wirksworth, serving cakes, paninis, sandwiches and soups this cafe is ideal to watch the world go by over great coffees and teas.
- Parkys Eatery - Cromford, choose from a breakfast or a lunch in the daytime or an evening bistro style meal in the evening. Friendly staff are there to welcome you and make your stay as relaxed as it can be. A popular stop for Afternoon Tea too!
- Forget Me Not Coffee Shop - Matlock Bath, quaint coffe shop offering delicious drinks, breakfasts, sandwiches and cakes. A real gem!
- The Green Way Cafe - Matlock, Vegetarian cafe offering something a little different, everything is homemade serving excellent breads, pates and savoury dishes alongside numerous cakes. Freshly ground coffee and loose tea is available.
- The Fountain Tea Rooms - Bonsall, a short drive from Wirksworth, this comfortable and friendly tea room offers you a great selection of choice - whether you are wanting breakfast, lunch or simply a coffe and a piece of cake, it's a great place to watch village life or sit and read a paper or magazine.
Fresh Delivered Meals and Take Aways
- Sauced Here - Fantastic selection of home made prepared meals from local chef/cooks - great for large groups. They also provide a full basket of groceries from local producers that can replace a supermarket delivery
- Scoff- Delicious, home-cooked food, delivered to you in the Peak District
- Birds Nest Chinese - Wirksworth, Take Away, no delivery service but has a great choice of authentic Chinese food.
- The Balti - Matlock Bath, eat in or take away, popular restaurant swerving great Indian food. Can deliver locally.
- Wirksworth Fish Bar - Fish and Chips Take Away
- Bellini Pizzeria - Matlock, order online and pick up, or can deliver locally, please enquire.
- Robinsons of Cromford - Cromford, Fish and Chips Take Away.
Our Guide to Nearby Attractions
Black Rocks is a small weathered outcrop of natural gritstone, close to Wirksworth and Cromford. Originally mined for Lead it's great for searching for a variey of rocks and minerals. A popular location fpr walkers and climbers offering great circuit walks, taking you through the adjoining woods. The area is well known for it's hard climbs, where there is a slightly easier climb it is still not for the faint hearted. There are breath-taking views from the top of the rocks. A picnic area is also nearby.
Click Here for more information on Black Rocks
Looking from the property you can see the memorial tower in the distance. Located in Crich this memorial was erected to remember the Sherwood Foresters who died in battle in WW1. Built in 1923 on the site of an older tower which was called Crich Stand it is now a destination for an annual pilgrimage for old and new members of the regiment which is held on the 1st Sunday in July. A steep climb up to the tower, but once you get to the top you will be blown away with the glorious views of the surrounding area. With a small cafe on site it's a perfect backdrop to enjoy a quick snack.
Click here for more information on Crich Stand
Visit the town of Matlock
The town of Matlock is situated on the edge of the Peak District National Park. A former spa town lying alongside the River Derwent, Matlock is the historic County town of Derbyshire. The popular tourist resort of Matlock Bath is a short distance away following the course of the river valley which is renowned for its industrial heritage sites. Within Matlock and Matlock Bath there is abundance of places to visit, if you have children within your group then Gulliver’s Kingdom, Matlock Farm Park or the Heights of Abraham are all great days out. For those interested in history then obviously Sir Richard Arkwright’s Mills are worth a visit, the Peak District Mining Museum is also in Matlock.
Click here for further information on Matlock
The High Peak Trail
With the High Peak Trail on your doorstep you can walk/cycle for miles along this old railway line, this 17.5 mile trail runs from the High Peak Junction, near Cromford all the way to Dowlow near Buxton (the nearest access to the trail is 0.5 mile walk up a track from Pikehall.) The High Peak Trail follows the route of the former Cromford and High Peak Railway. This was one of the world's first long-distance railway lines, built between 1825 and 1830. Many important railway buildings and features can still be seen, including High Peak Junction Workshops, Middleton Top Engine House, Hopton Tunnel and Hopton Incline. Surrounded by beautiful countryside the traffic-free trail is ideal for horse riders, cyclists and walkers of all abilities. The nearest cycle hire to property is at Middleton Top Cycle Hire.
Please click here for further information on the High Peak Trail
Carsington Water is a 2 mile long reservoir managed by Severn Trent Water which is only a 20 minute drive from the property. There is plenty to see and do including cycling/walking around the reservoir there are two routes, a 3 mile route perfect for little legs (and big ones too) and an 8 mile cycling route for those who want a bit more of a challenge. There is also the opportunity for bird watching, fishing and water sports, including kayaking, windsurfing, sailing and paddle boarding. A large modern visitor centre at the reservoir includes a restaurant, shops and water sports centre. There is also large outdoor area suitable for picnics and BBQ facilities for those warm summer days and a fantastic children’s outdoor play area for the little ones to enjoy.
What to Expect at The Collecting & Tractor Shed
A basic weekend supply of the following essentials are supplied (as there are no staff on site if you run out you will have to replace):
- Hand soap
- Loo rolls (1 x on the holder and 1 spare per bathroom)
- Washing up liquid
- Kitchen roll, cling film, kitchen foil
- Dishwasher tablets
- 4 x tea towels
- 1 x dish cloth and pan scrubber
- Basic cleaning materials
- Store cupboard essentials – a basic supply of tea, coffee, sugar and salt and pepper.
- Utilities - Electric, gas, heating and hot water
- 1 x travel cot (if requested - please remember to bring your own cot bed linen)
- 1 x high chair (on request)
- 2 x hair dryers
- Fresh linen with beds made up on arrival
- Fresh towels - bath towel and hand towel for each guest in the bedrooms
- Snug area with TV
- TV in the Collecting Shed kitchen
- Tractor Shed has a TV in both the lounge and games room
- 2 x log burners with complimentary basket of logs (Due to Health & Safety we do ask you to bring your own lighting equipment)
- Washing Machine & Tumble Dryer (available for use when requested)
- Iron & Ironing Board
- Mop and Bucket
- Juke Box
- SONOS Speaker
- Intruder alarm ( to be set each time guests leave the property)
Cooking & Dining
Any kitchen items that are absolutely vital for your stay, please check with us before your visit to ensure that it is at the property (as things do sometimes get broken).
- Pots, pans, roasting tins, crockery, cutlery and glassware
- Glasses - including wine glasses and tumblers
- Miele Microwave
- Miele Steam Oven
- Nespresso Miele Coffee Machine with a complimentary selection of 6 coffee pods to get you started
- La Cornue Range with gas hob, griddle and teppanyaki tray
- 2 x Cafetieres
- 1 kettle and 1 teapot
- 1 x toaster
- Chopping Boards
- Gravy Jugs
- BBQ (available for use from 01st April through to 31st October, please supply your own charcoal and lighting equipment.)
- Garden furniture
- Lawned garden area
- Parking for 8 cars
You Should Know
- For the comfort of all guests, outdoor shoes are not generally worn on the carpeted area of the house so don’t forget your slippers!
- No fireworks due to nearby live stock
- 1 dog allowed in The Collecting Shed only. We do charge £20 per dog for the duration of your stay. Please see our dog policy for further details.
- Noise Policy - to respect our neighbours any late night noise must be confined to inside the building by 10pm.
- WiFi – we provide free WiFi however this does not cover The Tractor Shed - however there is generally a good 4G signal.
- There is a large Duckpond within the gardens behind the Tractor Shed - this is not fenced off so please do not leave your children unattended in this area.
- The Collecting & Tractor Shed is on a shared site with The Farmhouse & Dairy, but you do have your own private areas.
- The postcode is DE4 4GW
- The nearest town is Wirksworth (approx 0.5 miles away)
- The property is on a shared site with The Farmhouse & Dairy, please respect the boundaries of each property.
Booking and Payment Process
- We ask for a 25% deposit to confirm a booking
- The balance is due 12 weeks prior to arrival
- Full payment is due upon booking if it is booked with 12 weeks prior to arrival
- A cautionary damage deposit of £400 is held and returned after your stay
- Click here for a full description of how to make a booking
Shopping Delivery Information
For ease, lots of our guests pre-ordered a shopping delivery. You are very welcome to organise this however, please do make sure you have arranged the delivery time slot to arrive after you have checked in, as we are unable to accept it on your behalf (as the property is let as exclusive use there are no Peak Venues staff on site).
Local Shopping Delivery From Local Producers - Sauced Here
Keep it local! Our guests often ask for recommendations for local farm shops and butchers for the all-important celebration meals and this is a brilliant and very easy service. Sauced here has similar functionality to an on line supermarket but is only stocked by local suppliers in the Peak District - order your wine, meat, vegetables,
dairy and so much more with a choice of over a thousand products and at reasonable prices. It's a great service which delivers straight to your holiday cottage or you can click and collect at a local pick up point.