The Derwent Sleeps 40
Fantastic large rental property right in the middle of the UK! Former pub/hotel superbly converted to provide unique and extremely spacious exclusive self catering accommodation for large groups between 30 and 40. Superb location for the Peak District sights of Lady Bower Reservoir, Derwent Valley, Edale and Castleton.
Enjoy Exclusive Use of A Large Self Catering Country House In A Converted Hotel In The Village of Bamford
- Perfectly placed right in the heart of the Peak District village of Bamford, with amazing access to Ladybower and Derwent Reservior in the Upper Derwent Valley.
- The cleverly converted former hotel/pub provides a fabulous self catering venue for up to 40 guests all under one roof.
- The Derwent Country House is perfect for friends and families who are seeking a totally different unique concept for a special celebration with having exclusive use of your own hotel with a private pub on tap.
- You can venture out to enjoy country walks through the spectacular Peak District National Park in every direction
- Edale, Castleton and Hathersage are all nearby and just a few minutes drive away.
- Golf, mountain biking, fishing and hiking are just a few of the outdoor activities on your doorstep.
Bedrooms & Bathrooms
There are a total of 16 impressive boutique style bedrooms each being individually decorated and designed and furnished with comfy beds, fresh linen and towels. We try to be really flexible with the room set up to suit all kinds of group as most rooms can offer options of double, twins and some bunk beds with plenty of brand new en suites and shared bathrooms.To describe in more detail, the main stair well leads up from the central ground floor space to a wide first floor landing and here you will find a choice of nine bedrooms with four with en suites, two shared shower rooms and one shared bathroom/wc. A further stair well rises to the second floor with six bedrooms with four en suites and one shared bathroom. A sixteenth bedroom is situated with external access through the garden entrance with en suite.
Please click here for full floor plans.
Cooking and Dining
We know an important aspect for any large group is to dine together and enjoy some great food, drink and be able to share each others company.The extremely spacious dining room creates a wonderfully light space with the large bay windows. We offer flexible table layouts so that you can dine and seat 40 guests for dinner in various combinations.
To ensure catering for a large group is a pleasure, we have thoughtfully designed the kitchen layout to provide two adjoining rooms one for preparation and cooking and the other for serving and clearing. In a contemporary shaker style design with solid wood work surfaces, the first kitchen is fully equipped and stocked with all modern cons you could need for mass catering. The fully equipped kitchen has a double range cooker, an abundance of cookware, pots and pans, microwave and crockery/utensils/glassware. Step inside the second utility kitchen and there is further storage cupboards with plenty of work surfaces, dishwashers and sink areas.
Whether you wish to cook for yourselves or use one of our many highly recommended outside catering contacts everything you or they will need to put on a meal to remember is provided
The Derwent Country House is a deceptively spacious property with interconnecting reception rooms that flow throughout the ground floor which creates an amazing entertainment space for large groups. On entering the property, you will step into a sizable entrance hall, perfect for storing muddy boots and hanging outdoor gear.
There are two good sized lounge areas, both with large flat screen TVs in each. The bar area is located in the central space and naturally evolves into the main social hub of the venue. Complete with bar stools, drinks fridges and glassware, you can stock the bar as you wish and serve drinks over the original bar which we have managed to retain many original features (please not the pumps are not in use). The area opens into the dining room which is flooded by light from the bay window and provides an impressive space for all 40 of you to enjoy your meals together.
To ensure your stay at The Derwent Country House is even more relaxing, we have added a luxury games room for your entertainment complete with pool table, table football and dart board.
Garden and Outdoor Space
Enjoying and enviable position in the heart of The Peak District National Park, The Derwent Country House offers so many interesting places to explore nearby.
In the centre of a former mill-village Bamford and the venue occupies the hillside underneath Bamford Edge and above the River Derwent and is perfectly situated in the heart of The Peak District. There is a lot more to the village than can be seen when just passing through. It has some lovely quiet corners and is especially pretty around the millpool just above the mill itself. Bamford Edge is a fine gritstone edge which overlooks the village and offers a fine view of Ladybower.
At the bottom end of the village there is the railway station, which very conveniently links Bamford with both Manchester and Sheffield. At the centre of the village there are some shops and a couple of pubs nearby.
Right on your doorstep is Lady Bower & Howden Reservoir and the Upper Derwent Valley which is absolutely stunning to visit whether you walking, fishing or cycle around it. Not only is it a naturally beautiful area, but also steeped in history, during the Second World War the reservoir was famously used by pilots for practicing the low-level flights commonly known as the "Dam Busters" raids. There is a visitors centre, fishing boat hire and a cycle hire.
Founded in 1898 Sickleholme Golf Club is a friendly club within walking distance to The Derwent. Sickleholme welcomes visiting groups.
A short drive away, popular areas of the Peak District are very accessible Bakewell, Castleton, Hope Valley, Edale, Hathersage and Chatsworth.
There is a lawned garden with a child's play area and plenty of private parking
Availability & Price
At Peak Venues, we understand how tricky it can be organising large group holidays, each and every booking has unique requirements and deserves individual attention. For this very reason, we choose not to offer on line booking. Our prices and availability are upon request via email or phone (we answer emails 7 days a week!). We know our properties inside and out and can offer advice to make sure you are booking the perfect venue so contact direct with our sales team makes sure that you get the information that you need to ensure a fantastic stay. Please contact us for more details.
What People Are Saying
Thank you we had a great weekend The Derwent was great and hopefully we will be back again!
Hewitt, Oct 2015
Living Area with comfortable seating up to 12 guests.
Fully Equipped Kitchen
Living Area off the Original Bar
Rear View of The Derwent Country House
Right in the heart of the village of Bamford
The Derwent Country House
External View of The Derwent Country House
Converted Pub/ Hotel
The Derwent Country House
Games Area with Pool Table & Darts Board
Separate Washing Up Area
Welcome to The Derwent Country House
9 Ensuites & 4 Shared Bathrooms
Dining for up to 40 guests
Entrance to The Derwent Country House
Heart of the Village
Table Football on first floor
Spacious Hall Areas
Original Bar Features
Mixture of Bath & Shower Rooms
Open Plan Living & Dining Area
Original Bar Area
Children's Outdoor Play Area
How To Find The Derwent
The address of The Derwent Country House is:
Main Road, Bamford, S33 0AY
Approx GPS coordinates of the property are:53.347621, -1.689537
Directions to The Derwent by car from Castleton (approx. 10 mins):
- Follow signs for the A6187 towards Hope Valley (Castleton Road)
- Once on A6187 follow road for 4 miles (turns into Hope Road then Hathersage Road)
- You will come to a set of traffic lights with a petrol station on your left
- Take a left at the lights onto A6103
- Follow the road for 0.8 miles into the main village
- The Derwent Country House will be on your right hand side- on your left there will be a dental practice and a bus stop opposite
- You have arrived at The Derwent Country House!
Directions to The Derwent by car from Hathersage (approx. 5 minutes):
Follow signs for A6187 towards Castleton (Castleton Road)
Once on A6187 follow for 1.5 miles
At the traffic lights there will be a petrol station ahead of you on the right hand side
Take the right hand turn at the lights just before the petrol station onto A6103 to Bamford
Follow the road for 0.8 miles into the main village
The Derwent Country House will be on your right hand side- on your left there will be a dental practice and a bus stop opposite
You have arrived at The Derwent Country House!
Directions to The Derwent by car from Sheffield (approx. 30 minutes):
From Sheffield follow signs for A57 towards Glossop
Follow A57 for approx. 12-12.5 miles
There will be Lady Bower reservoir (sometimes called Derwent reservoir) on your right hand side
You will come to a set of traffic lights- take a right turn here signposted A6103 to Bamford
Follow the road down for approximately 2 miles
The Derwent Country House will be on your left hand side- on your right there will be a dental practice and a bus stop opposite
You have arrived at The Derwent Country House!
The following comments are taken from the guestbook we keep for The Derwent. Verbatim.
We did enjoy our stay very much, and appreciate your assistance and flexibility in the build-up to our stay
Metherell, Jun 2017
Thank you for your help in booking the Derwent and all the useful information up front. We had a great time and everyone commented on what a brilliant venue it was.
Drawbridge, Jun 2017
Thank you very much - we had a fab time!
Slinn, May 2017
Thank you, we had a lovely weekend at Derwent House.
Richmond, Mar 2017
Fully enjoyed the weekend and I already have your website open to investigate another trip possibly to one of your smaller properties next year.
Bale, Feb 2017
The house was amazing and we all had a lovely time. Thank you again for all of your help
Nulty, Jan 2017
Thank you we've had a fabulous weekend. The derwent was a fantastic venue for my husbands 40th.
Leonard, Jan 2017
The property was very nice, thanks
Smith, Dec 2016
We had a very special family celebration in your lovely venue.
Ibgui, Nov 2016
We had a marvellous weekend
Black, Oct 2016
We had an amazing weekend and the venue was fantastic, it certainly met all our needs so thank you.
Gillander, Sep 2016
Our stay at The Derwent was great and everybody thoroughly enjoyed the venue, the village and the surrounding area.
Hayward, Sep 2016
Many thanks, we had a fantastic time at the Derwent, it was perfect!
Cornford 206, Jul 2016
We had a great weekend and everyone loved The Derwent. We were a mixed group with couples singles and families and there was something for everyone and very luxurious compared to other large self catering venues we have used.
Aldred, Jul 2016
We had a wonderful time and the venue was absolutely perfect!
Munro, Jun 2016
I had a great time at The Derwent – thanks a lot.
Knight, Jun 2016
Just wanted to say thanks for the stay. All went really well. The whole party ranging from ages 1-44 loved it. The house is great, plenty of space, clean and plenty to keep us occupied. And the weather smiled on us too! Howard was also very helpful.
Harvey, Jun 2016
We had a brilliant time, The Derwent was fabulous and you have been very helpful!
Blythe, May 2016
We had a wonderful weekend and the Derwent was the perfect location for my sisters hen do. Everyone was extremely impressed with the accommodation and facilities.
Dean, Apr 2016
The Derwent is a fantastic venue for a family get together
Sanders, Mar 2016
We all had a fantastic time and the Derwent was perfect in every way
Wolf, Mar 2016
We had a lovely stay thank you.
Pacitto, Mar 2016
Many thanks for your email - we had a wonderful time at The Derwent. What a fabulous house and the owners have done a beautiful job converting it. It was extremely well catered, all the bedding seemed brand new, the kitchen was missing nothing. So please do pass on our thanks and we would be extremely keen to book again next year.
Johnstone, Feb 2016
A quick email to say thanks for a wonderful weekend at The Derwent. Everyone had a great time!
Williams, Jan 2016
We had a thoroughly good time and The Derwent and it was a fantastic venue for us to party and socialise.
Johnson, Jan 2016
We had a brilliant weekend at The Derwent it was extremely nice Hope to see you again in 2016
Baker, Dec 2015
Thank you we had a great weekend The Derwent was great and hopefully we will be back again!
Hewitt, Oct 2015
We all had an amazing time, it was a fabulous venue
Fuse Studios, Oct 2015
Thanks for your email. We all had a wonderful weekend, what a fantastic house! It was perfect for my 3 generations of family and friends, and everyone was very complimentary about the high quality of everything in the house. Anyway hope to visit again at some point in the future. A memorable weekend for all!
Lewis, Aug 2015
it was a fantastic weekend and The Derwent was the perfect venue and it exceeded our expectations. Thank you for all of your help regarding the booking and planning for our stay, your quick response to questions and ease of booking made everything so much easier which in the past has often been a more stressful experience!
Gabrielli, Jul 2015
Thank you for the message - we had a great time and would like to thank everyone for their work. You're right about exceeding my expectations, which were already high. Please pass on my thanks for Chris - everything we ask for was provided with no fuss or drama.
Taylor, Jun 2015
We all had an excellent time, the venue is amazing and enabled my friend to have the best hen do possible
Pirie, May 2015
Hi everyone Just a quick note to thank you all so much for your input into the “Bootcamp” the other week which was a great success. Guests were pleasantly surprised at the high quality of the venue which was comfortable and of a very high standard - we couldn’t have asked for a better setting for our event. Rachel thank you for your patience liaising with Alison on this reservations and ensuring that the venue we booked was suitable for the purpose of our conference. Chris thank you for taking the time to personally show me around the property and answer my questions amidst the chaos of arrivals and deliveries which all seemed to coincide at the same time! Amanda and Dionne (Scoff) thank you for delivering directly to The Derwent and working around the general mayhem late on Monday afternoon - the evening meal was delicious and gratefully received by many who had travelled a long way to get to Bamford. The lunch on both Tuesday and Wednesday was delicious and delivered on time which was great as the delegates were all working to a tight timeline and any delays would have had a huge impact on the day’s agenda. We wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this high quality venue to anyone looking for somewhere that caters for large groups yet set in a scenic location with excellent transport links from Bamford Station and should you require references happy to oblige.
HML Architects, May 2015
We had a great weekend at the Derwent - - it certainly met our expectations - really good venue
Dunkerley, Mar 2015
We had a fantastic time and will definitely recommend peak venues. Everyone thought it was an amazing venue.
Watt, Dec 2014
Hi Peak Venues team, We had a brilliant weekend at the Derwent. All of the family loved it! Thanks for all of your assistance.
Grimshaw, Nov 2014
I had the best weekend. Everything was just perfect. I know people that are already looking to book The Derwent again. Fantastic spacious venue finished to an extremely high standard. Couldn't have asked for more. Thank you for all your help throughout the whole process.
Woodbine, Oct 2014
We just wanted to thank you! We had the best weekend at the Derwent. It is such an amazing place and everyone was so impressed with it. We will send some photos of how we set the table etc when we have them. We walked up to the Anglers Rest most days and we were well looked after there. We would recommend the Derwent... we had a ball.
Poole, Oct 2014
First of all I want to say what an amazing time we had last weekend The Derwent was amazing and exceeded all my expectations. Everyone had a great time and we were all really impressed with the quality of the finish, it was like staying in a 5 star self-catering hotel.
Dixon, Jul 2014
Where do I start!?????? From start to finish my weekend at the Derwent was exceptional. Arriving on the Friday to be met by the owner who showed me around and explained all the 'technical' things like the alarm... He then left us to it and explained that he was only at the other end of phone and to ring or text him with any issues big or small. This was so reassuring. When my friends and family started to arrive and saw the venue for the first time they were all taken back by how nicely finished the venue was. All of the bedrooms were to such a high standard and perfect for accommodating my guests comfortably. The location was spot on and we spent Saturday exploring the surrounding countryside and had the pleasure of seeing some amazing views over the lady bower reservoir. After a day of walking coming back the Derwent was just ideal as The heating system was so good and kept such a big building nice and cosy. I had a professional chef in to cook on the Saturday night who found the kitchen more than adequate for him and the mammoth task of cooking a 3 course menu for 30 people. My mum on the other hand trying to cook breakfast for everyone was a little stretch (bless her) everyone did chip in and eventually it worked perfectly, we all had such a laugh from coordinating breakfast to working the bar. I would definitely suggest a 'staff rota' it's so much fun and everyone gets to have a go behind the bar. I can't put down in words how fantastic this venue is and how much fun was had over the weekend. Would recommend every time and will definitely be back. Thanks you to everyone and Peak Venues and Chris Goddard.
Woodbine, Jan 2014
Sign the Guestbook
If you have comments you'd like to leave then please get in touch. We love to hear all feedback - good or bad.
To view or download the floorplan for this property click here.
The file is in PDF format so you'll need a PDF viewer, such as Adobe Acrobat, to view them.
The Finer Details
WHAT TO EXPECT
A basic weekend supply of the following essentials are supplied (as there are no staff on site if you run out you will have to replace):
- Hand soap
- Loo rolls (1 x on the holder and 1 spare per bathroom)
- Washing up liquid
- 5 x dishwasher tablets
- 2 x tea towels
- 1 x dish cloth
- Basic cleaning materials
- Utilities - Electric, gas, heating and hot water
- 3 x travel cot (if requested - please supply your own cot linen)
- 3 x high chairs (if requested)
- Fresh linen with beds made up upon arrival
- Fresh towels - Bath towel per guest & hand towels in the bathrooms
- 2 x TV with Freeview in the 2 x main lounges (HDMI compatible)
- 1 x DVD player
- 2 x Ipod docking station
- Washing Machine
- Iron & ironing board & indoor clothes airer
- On line deliveries welcome but please make sure that you have booked the slot to arrive after you have checked in as there are no staff on site to take care of your delivery. Location and address is on the directions page
COOKING AND DINING
Any kitchen items that are absolutely vital for your stay, please check with us before your visit to ensure that it is at the property (as things do sometimes get broken).
- The dining table seats up to 30 in a T shape or up to 40 in various configurations separately
- Pots, pans, roasting tins, crockery, glassware and cutlery
- Kitchen scales
- 2 x electric oven
- American style fridge/freezer with ice machine
- 2 x Toasters
- 2 x Kettles
- 3 x Dishwashers
GAMES ROOM & BAR
- Note that the beer pump on the photos is for decoration only and not in use
- No cocktail shakers
- 2 x Wine fridges
- Beer and wine glasses
- Pool table
- Dart board
- Table Football
- BBQ – please bring your own coal
- Childrens play area
- Large lawned garden
- 4 x Garden picnic benches
YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Note that the beer pump on the photos is for decoration only and not in use
- Sorry no dogs are allowed at this venue
- For the comfort of all guests, outdoor shoes are not generally worn on the carpeted area of the house so don’t forget your slippers!
- No fireworks due to village location
- Noise Policy - due to quiet village location, late night noise must be confined to inside the building by 9.30pm. Neighbours are in close proximity.
- Please note The Derwent Country House is ideal for families and mixed groups who are not looking for a party venue.
- Due to the village location we are very considerate to the local residents and only take bookings for hen and stag groups during off peak months. Strictly no 30th birthday celebrations are permitted.
- Wifi – we provide free wifi however as the Peak District is in a beautiful rural location sometimes there can be intermittent wifi signal that is beyond our control, we also hope you appreciate that we cannot guarantee wifi if there are technical issues out of our control.
- The postcode is S33 0AY
- The nearest city is SheffielD.
- Bamford has a train station located 0.6 miles from The Derwent
- A short drive away is the larger villages of Hathersage, Hope or Castleton
- The nearest village is Bamford (walking distance) with village shop and pub
- Private parking for 20 + cars
BOOKING AND PAYMENT PROCESS
- We ask for a 25% deposit to confirm a booking
- The balance is due 10 weeks prior to arrival
- Full payment is due upon booking if it is booked with 10 weeks prior to arrival
- A cautionary damage deposit of £500 is held and returned after your stay
ARRIVAL AND DEPARTURE
- Check in 3pm or after
- Check out is by 10am prompt
For more information about The Derwent please take a look at their own website.
STANDARD SUPERMARKET DELIVERIES
For ease, lots of our guests organise a pre-ordered shopping delivery. You are very welcome to organise this however, please do make sure you have arrange the delivery time slot to arrive after you have checked in, as we are unable to accept it on your behalf (as the property is let as exclusive use there is are no Peak Venus staff on site).
ALTERNATIVE SUPERMARKET STYLE DELIVERY THAT SUPPORTS LOCAL PRODUCERS - SAUCED HERE.
Keep it local! This is a brilliant alternative to the supermarkets. Our guests often ask for recommendations for local farm shops and butchers for the all-important celebration meals. Sauced Here has similar functionality to an on line supermarket but is only stocked by 30 or more local suppliers in the Peak District - order your wine, meat, vegetables, dairy and so much more with a choice of over a thousand products and at reasonable prices. It's a great service which delivers straight to your holiday cottage or you can click and collect at a local pick up point.
Click here to book a delivery slot.
Our Favourite Places to Eat Nearby
- The Angler’s Rest, Bamford - Bamford’s community owned pub, post office and café. Friday Night is Fish and Chip Night - available to eat in or takeaway from 5.30pm - 9.00pm.
- The Yorkshire Bridge Inn, Bamford - Traditional pub serving food about a 20 minute walk from Bamford.
- The Rising Sun Hotel, Hope Valley - Family ran inn serving home cooked fresh food, which is sourced locally where possible.
- The Scotsman’s Pack Inn, Hathersage - Home cooked pub food using locally sourced produce.
- The Chequers Inn, Froggatt Edge - Award winning inn serving fresh locally sourced food.
- The Plough Inn, Hathersage -Traditional pub serving great food.
- The Barrel Inn, Bretton- Quaint 16th century inn with the most amazing views - on a clear day it is possible to see five counties.
- The Bulls Head Inn, Foolow - Family run pub serving hearty traditional pub food.
- The Moon Inn, Stoney Middleton - A lovely traditional pub with a great beer garden.
- The Bridge Inn, Calver - A pub which serves great Spanish tapas.
- Maazi Indian Restaurant, Hathersage -Brilliant Indian restaurant located in the centre of Hathersage, they also do take-aways and outside catering.
- 1530, Castleton - Nice Italian restaurant located in the centre of Castleton.
- Rowley’s, Baslow - A contemporary restaurant serving locally sourced modern European dishes.
- The Merchant’s Yard, Tideswell - a stylish restaurant with a private dining area for large groups. Also a lovely setting for afternoon tea and the cocktails are a must!
- Charlie’s Bistro, Baslow - Lovely little bistro in the centre of Baslow, advisable to book ahead.
- Curry Cottage at Lovers Leap, Stoney Middleton - Restaurant and take-away.
- Hathersage Social Club, Hathersage - A great café that also hosts special food evenings and can also be hired for private parties.
- David Mellor Design Café, Hathersage - Incorporated in the David Mellor museum and shop is this wonderfully designed café offering speciality teas and home-made cakes.
- Colemans Deli, Hathersage - Great place to grab and sandwich and a coffee.
- Grindleford Station Café, Grindleford - Traditional style café with huge portions, popular with walkers.
- Village Green Cafe, Eyam - Lovely little café serving lunch and snacks as well as great homemade cakes.
- Eyam Tea Rooms, Eyam - Quaint tea room and ice cream parlour.
AFTERNOON TEA - Here are just a few recommendations to tempt you:
- The Orangery Restaurant at Losehill House Hotel and Spa.
- Cintra’s Tearoom, Hathersage.
- The Cavendish Restaurant at Chatsworth.
FRESH DELIVERED MEALS AND TAKE-AWAYS
- Sauced Here - fantastic selection of home made prepared meals from local chef/cooks - great for large groups. They also provide a full basket of groceries from local producers that can replace a supermarket delivery.
- Scoff - Delicious, home-cooked food, delivered to you in the Peak District.
- Bradwell Fisheries, Bradwell - Traditional fish and chip shop take-away in Bradwell.
- Hope Valley Pizza Co - A take away pizza company in the nearby Hope Valley.
- The Angler’s Rest, Bamford - Bamford’s community owned pub, post office and café. Friday
- Maazi- Sumptuous Indian meal or buffet delivered to your door. Numerous catering options and can also provide waiting on staff and even take away the washing up.
- Curry Cottage at Lovers Leap, Stoney Middleton - Indian take-way in the nearby village of Stoney Middleton
Our Top 5 Places to Visit Nearby
1. Upper Derwent Valley
Whilst staying at The Derwent Country House a visit to the Upper Derwent Valley is a must. There are three reservoirs in the Upper Derwent Valley. The River Derwent flows first through Howden Reservoir, then Derwent Reservoir and finally through Ladybower Reservoir. There is a visitor’s centre at Fairholmes with a café and you can also hire bikes and cycle round the reservoirs, the scenery is absolutely stunning. You may have heard about the ‘Dam Busters’ during the Second World War the reservoir was used by pilots of the 617 Squadron for practising the low-level flights needed for Operation Chastise (commonly known as the "Dam Busters" raids), due to its similarity to the German dams. In the West Tower of the Derwent Dam there is a memorial and museum for the Dambusters 617 squadron.
2. Visit Castleton and its famous caverns
Castleton is one of the most popular destinations for visitors to the Peak District, it has an array of natural and historical features both above and below ground, and is surrounded by superb walking country. High above the village stand the imposing ruins of Peveril Castle. To the west of Castleton lies Mam Tor offering amazing views and fantastic walking on the ridge. Castleton is most well-known for its four caves, each offering a different experience to the visitor, Peak Cavern, Speedwell Cavern, Treak Cliff Cavern and Blue John Mine. The caverns are a great activity for kids and when the weather does not cooperate for outdoor activities.
Click here for a link to Castleton and the Caves.
3. Eyam – The Plague Village
Nearby is the village of Eyam, famously known as the plague village. The village was unique in its response to the outbreak of plague in 1665 as the village placed itself in voluntary quarantine. Eyam museum is great to place to find out more about the plague story and the history of village, there is also Eyam Hall, built in 1676 in a Jacobean style. The house is open to visitors (please check the National Trust website for opening hours) and next door there a small craft centre, which is also worth a visit. There are many great walks around the village and it is lovely just to wander around as many of the buildings also have plaques giving details of their history and the part their inhabitants played in the Plague saga, notably the Plague Cottages where the outbreak began.
4. Walk Bamford Edge and Moor
There are so many stunning places to walk in the local area including Kinder Scout, Man Torr Edale, Hathersage and Castleton to name but a few! There are also some great walks which are on the doorstep of the Derwent Country House, including a lovely 5 mile and a 7 mile circular route around Bamford taking in Bamford Edge and Moor. From the elevated position of Bamford Edge there are simply wonderful views over the surrounding area and down to the Ladybower Reservoir.
5. Chatsworth House and Park
No visit to the Peak District would be complete without visiting the fabulous Chatsworth Estate. There really is something to do for every member of the family - The Farmyard and Adventure playground, the magnificent house and the gardens which are equally as impressive as the house , with the maze, the garden trails, and the famous water cascade to keep the little ones occupied.
Click here for a link to Chatsworth House and Park.